Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GeoCVNewsOccipitalSpatial ComputingStructure Sensor

[BREAKING] GeoCV team joins Occipital10213

GeoCV
Co-Founder
New York City
AntonYakubenko private msg quote post Address this user
Today, we’re excited to announce that the majority of GeoCV team has joined Occipital to launch Occipital’s Research & Development office in Moscow.

I first met Jeff Powers, Occipital co-founder, 4 years ago at a 3D capturing reality conference. We've always shared a passion for 3D computer vision. Since my first student project 15 years ago I wanted to empower computers to see and understand the world in 3D, so humans could seamlessly bridge physical and digital realities.

Occipital is a leading spatial computing company. GeoCV has been successfully using Occipital’s Structure Sensor, one of the most popular depth sensors, as a part of the GeoCV Scanner. Occipital’s 3D capture products span from scanning small objects, to rooms, to huge outdoor spaces. Occipital’s real-time tracking, mapping and perception technology powers next-generation AR, VR, mobile and robotic devices.

Occipital will not be acquiring the Virtual Open House™ product from GeoCV. The Occipital Moscow Research & Development office will instead be focused on advancing existing Occipital product lines. We're still scratching the surface in building a fundamental element for the next era of spatial computing. By joining the teams we will accelerate realizing a mutual vision of democratizing 3D capture.

We say thank you to everyone who has believed in us, and hope we've benefited to them as well:
- Amazing GeoCV team
- Supportive GeoCV investors
- Receptive GeoCV customers and partners
- Welcoming Occipital team

Stay tuned!
Post 1 IP   flag post
3DVirtuallyThere private msg quote post Address this user
What about GeoCV?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
@AntonYakubenko congrats on the acquisition. Would you mind to elaborate more on the future of the Virtual Open House product?

- Will it be shut down?
- Can we keep scanning and processing new spaces going forward (knowing that there will be no more tech support)?
- Will the product still evolve?
Post 3 IP   flag post
GeoCV
Co-Founder
New York City
Paolo, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosolini
Would you mind to elaborate more on the future of the Virtual Open House product?
- Will it be shut down?

Fully automatic GeoCV Cloud will continue allowing existing customers who have purchased GeoCV cameras to produce and host 3D tours under their existing subscription plans. Technical support provided by humans will end on October 8, 2019.

Quote:
- Can we keep scanning and processing new spaces going forward (knowing that there will be no more tech support)?

Yes!

Quote:
- Will the product still evolve?

Since GeoCV engineering team has been transitioned to Occipital, there are no such plans at the moment.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Berlin, Germany
3dblickwinkel private msg quote post Address this user
@AntonYakubenko what about the not yet automated and just announced virtual staging? I'm just spending money for advertising.

What does it mean "under their existing subscription plans"? Will they be terminated to the next possible date?
Post 5 IP   flag post
GeoCV
Co-Founder
New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dblickwinkel
@AntonYakubenko what about the not yet automated and just announced virtual staging? I'm just spending money for advertising.

Virtual staging with minor limitations is available via GeoCV Tour Editor:
https://support.geocv.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035567354-How-to-Virtually-stage-a-virtual-tour

Quote:
What does it mean "under their existing subscription plans"? Will they be terminated to the next possible date?

Sorry, maybe just confusing wording from my side. I meant that nothing is changing in terms of subscription fees.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Berlin, Germany
@AntonYakubenko USP for vs is gone. The switch between staged and not staged.
I don't mean the fees, I mean the contract itself.
When occipital will offer 3d tours?
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Berlin, Germany
@AntonYakubenkon Sorry Anton, another question. What about hardware support?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Hilton Head Island, SC
THRHHI private msg quote post Address this user
Wow,and we were just working the numbers to add this to our company. I guess not now.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
So my interest was piqued by geocv. Does the product exist anymore then?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Convrts private msg quote post Address this user
This is pretty hard to hear.... we made the investment in a GeoCV system largely because the product was being improved as we went along and we felt we were part of something which was growing into a great product. It's not a cheap option without this promise so now we have to yet again re-evaluate our business after responding to the Matterport changes ... what a year this is turning out to be!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
immersivespaces private msg quote post Address this user
Well, that's unfortunate.
Post 12 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
@AntonYakubenko congrats on the acquisition. I was really hoping that GEOcv would continue on as the innovation you and your team have shown over the last couple of years have been breathtaking and really set the bar for what 3D capture is capable of producing unlike others who have promises innovation but were short on delivery.

What will be the future of those who have the camera? Will you make the present processing technology open source so other can continue to develop the technology?

I wish you and your team great success in your new partnership with Occipital. Fingers crossed we have not heard the last of a device which can produce similar VOH results.

Please keep this forum updated on any future plans and developments for your new venture.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Not surprising. Although it looked promising, I never felt their pricing structure would hold up, and there were soo many red flags with GeoCv...the largest being the ongoing lawsuit with Matterport. My guess is they they knew they couldn't win it, or afford to keep fighting it. Or it could be they just didn't have enough funding to compete with Matterport. I feel bad for those that invested in them. I almost bought in myself.

Trying to figure out a pricing model for 3D tours is frustrating, and it doesn't help when a company like GeoCv comes along, shows great promise, and then packs up and leaves. They should at least offer to buy back the equipment they sold, since it's been immediately rendered useless.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Peterborough, United Kingdom
angusnorriss private msg quote post Address this user
@AntonYakubenko - congratulations.

Back on Earth - should my business in a GeoCV system for Virtual Tours or not?

It sounds like good news for you and your vision but a bit vague in terms of next steps for this product line. Pls elaborate. Thanks!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
If they are no longer in business it might be an idea to take down the order form for the camera that you can't do anything with. Sounds like they went out of business, but at least found a place for their developers to continue working.
Post 16 IP   flag post
GeoCV
Co-Founder
New York City
Quote:

I would agree that the toggle between original and virtually staged 3D tour as well as staging in true 3D has been bringing a wow magical effect. But ability to virtually stage the space as you like (you select panoramas to stage and you select the vendor or even do it by yourself) already gives a tremendous benefit and could deliver an extremely valuable product. This is already a next step from virtually stage still photos and would be appreciated by the customers.

Quote:
I don't mean the fees, I mean the contract itself.

Nothing changes on the contract side.

Quote:
When occipital will offer 3d tours?

There are no such plans at the moment.

Quote:
What about hardware support?

We didn't see many critical hardware issues in the past, so we don't foresee it to be a problem for the future.
Post 17 IP   flag post
GeoCV
Co-Founder
New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonherbert

Yes, GeoCV Cloud would continue automatically processing and hosting 3D tours produced by existing GeoCV customers. As @DanSmigrod mentioned in another thread, it actually gives some kind of exclusivity in the region, especially if 3D tours are white-labeled and branded by the service provider.
Post 18 IP   flag post
GeoCV
Co-Founder
New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySnyder
@AntonYakubenko congrats on the acquisition. I was really hoping that GEOcv would continue on as the innovation you and your team have shown over the last couple of years have been breathtaking and really set the bar for what 3D capture is capable of producing unlike others who have promises innovation but were short on delivery.

I wish you and your team great success in your new partnership with Occipital. Fingers crossed we have not heard the last of a device which can produce similar VOH results.

Thank you for the kind words, Gary! Really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySnyder
Will you make the present processing technology open source so other can continue to develop the technology?

There are no such plans at the moment.
Post 19 IP   flag post
GeoCV
Co-Founder
New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzphotoman
equipment been immediately rendered useless.

This is not true, since GeoCV Cameras and GeoCV Cloud continue to fully function.

While we did have a long roadmap to improve Virtual Open House product even further, the product in its current state already delivers a huge value to GeoCV customers and is differentiated from others in so many ways, that the amount of innovation we've put into it could last for a while.
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
All I will add is - Thank you, Anton. You and your team created something wonderful and I'm really happy I jumped in from the beginning. This is heartfelt regardless of what happens going forward. I will continue to create on the GeoCV platform, it's fabulous.

Thank you!
Post 21 IP   flag post
GeoCV
Co-Founder
New York City
I'd like to sincerely thank @home3D, @Tosolini, @Convrts, @Kumar, @andreabortolot, @3dblickwinkel, @trunganhvux (sorry if I missed anyone) for the kind words of support on the awesome Forum driven by @DanSmigrod, and all GeoCV customers (many of which are not on the forum and come from various industries) for becoming GeoCV early adopters and helping us to shape the best 3D tour solution in the market.
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
@AntonYakubenko Maybe I misunderstood. When I said the equipment is immediately rendered useless, I was under the impression you are no longer going to be supporting the equipement. If that were the case, to me the equipment would be useless. How do you build a clientele with one camera, that is no longer serviceable or replaceable, and no company support. If early adapters feel they can build a viable business around that, more power to them. Just my humble opinion.
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Berlin, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonYakubenko
Quote:

I would agree that the toggle between original and virtually staged 3D tour as well as staging in true 3D has been bringing a wow magical effect. But ability to virtually stage the space as you like (you select panoramas to stage and you select the vendor or even do it by yourself) already gives a tremendous benefit and could deliver an extremely valuable product. This is already a next step from virtually stage still photos and would be appreciated by the customers.

Anton thanks for your reply. This is true but the customer doesn´t want to know how we are doing it, he wants the wow effect when toggling between original and virtual staged and that is the difference to others. I have understood the team that you are working on that to become automized and that you are not far away from this diy solution.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonYakubenko
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonherbert

Yes, GeoCV Cloud would continue automatically processing and hosting 3D tours produced by existing GeoCV customers. As @DanSmigrod mentioned in another thread, it actually gives some kind of exclusivity in the region, especially if 3D tours are white-labeled and branded by the service provider.

I am not an existing customer, so to me you are the equivalent of a Kodak instant camera. You briefly teased us with a product and then disappeared. You do not exist anymore. I wish you luck in your new endeavors.
Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Inman (2 October 2019) GeoCV winding down operations, tech team joins spatial computing firm
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
Another one Bites the Dust! So glad I didn't buy in.
Post 27 IP   flag post
rafrenteria98 private msg quote post Address this user
Howdy,

I made this video last week about Occipital’s Acqui-hire - most of the information is from this particular thread so there isn’t much new information. My thinking is that if anyone has anything else to say on the matter that they may want to express more publicly or help out my audience, the comment section may be the place to do that. All feedback / comments / corrections are welcome. Have a good one!

clickable text
Post 28 IP   flag post
rammultimedia private msg quote post Address this user
It is sad, RIP
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Multiple WGAN Members have express interest in buying a GeoCV Kit in the WGAN Private Group for Buying-Selling Used Camera Gear.

So far, no GeoCV Kits have been listed for sale in this WGAN Private Group.

Join this WGAN Private Group: Buy-Sell Used Cameras (and Related Gear) (No charge for WGAN Basic, Standard and Premium Members whom can Private Message me to be added.)

Best,

Dan

11 am ET Tuesday, 14 January 2020
Post 30 IP   flag post
101641 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?