Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
NewsSmartPhone

Creating a 3D Model with a SmartPhone (without additional hardware)10203

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A great publicist always looks for something to claim "first" when making news.

So, no surprise that I received an email today (Friday, 27 September 2019) from the PR agency for Matterport writing: (including the stars )

----

***This will be the first time in
history
that consumers will be able to create True 3D virtual
experiences from their smartphones without any additional
hardware***

----

While this is likely true, it's also likely that to create Matterport 3D Tours for a living, that the creator WILL NEED/WANT a tripod and rotator to produce professional quality results as does GeoCV and InsideMaps.

And, once you realize that you need a tripod and rotator, that begs the question:

10 Reasons Matterport will acquire GeoCV

The publicist also wrote: "Last night [26 Sept. 2019], Matterport unveiled its latest breakthrough technology that will transform iPhones and Androids into 3D capture devices, an innovation made possible by its proprietary AI engine called 'Cortex' which has the unique ability to turn 2D panoramic images into fully immersive 3D experiences."

I look forward to taking Matterport Smartphone capture for a spin - with and without a tripod. I'd to be proven wrong about the need for a tripod and rotator.

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
jpierce360 private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting to see how much storage will be needed on the phone to capture everything!
Hopefully it can be downloaded to an external SD card on the phone.

Might have to have a phone that's just for capturing the data... used for nothing else.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
GlennTremain private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpierce360
Interesting to see how much storage will be needed on the phone to capture everything!
Hopefully it can be downloaded to an external SD card on the phone.

Might have to have a phone that's just for capturing the data... used for nothing else.

and in 1992 I bought a gateway 2000 (white box with black spots like a cow) and the guy told me my 180 mb would be all the storage I would need. :-)

With smartphones holding 512gb it's a matter of time before they do even more
Post 3 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
The AI which MP has developed should not need a tripod or any rotating device to capture a location. MP and their engineering team have done an outstanding job in developing this application and it will only get better. There are many handheld scanners on the market today that can produce a point cloud of a location in very precise detail so with MP's AI hand held scanning or capture should not be a problem.

In regards to memory as Glenn stated memory will just keep increasing on smartphones. Being an Android user my Samsung uses micro SD cards so unless I'm shooting a massive location memory should not be a problem.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySnyder
The AI which MP has developed should not need a tripod or any rotating device to capture a location. MP and their engineering team have done an outstanding job in developing this application and it will only get better. There are many handheld scanners on the market today that can produce a point cloud of a location in very precise detail so with MP's AI hand held scanning or capture should not be a problem.

Wow! That would be crazy! Even to stitch the initial panos?

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@GarySnyder I agree with Gary, once a point cloud or 3D space is created you can pick a 3D point to create a panoramic view and then hold that height thru the tour just picking different locations to go thru. It would be slightly different create the model then go thru the 3D model picking view points, point cloud software already does this. So I do believe it would change things but again to use this technology when would require some one with experience to get the best tour.

@GlennTremain I bought in to the same idea and my black and white box and contents served me well. So was this a vague reference to MP, great product in the beginning but slowly fades out
Post 6 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
I see this being a major boom for GSV captures. Now people can use their smartphones to shoot a VT via MP . They would pay MP to process the VT and upload it to GSV as a one time cost. MP would do all the heavy lifting of producing the VT so just about anyone could produce a GSV VT. I bet there will be loads of examples on YouTube in the next couple of months on how to do this process.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101641 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?