Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CortexNewsRJ PittmanSilicon Valley Business

'Matterport's new CEO makes big changes at 3D real estate imaging startup'8802

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Matterport CEO R.J. Pittman | Image courtesy of Matterport

Hi All,

Some additional media coverage about Matterport's new CEO R.J. Pittman ...

Silicon Valley Business Journal (15 February 2019) Matterport's new CEO makes big changes at 3D real estate imaging startup

"Matterport Inc.'s new CEO R.J. Pittman is taking the company in a new direction."

"The strategy outlined by the former eBay, Apple and Google product chief focuses more on the software and services that the Sunnyvale-based 3D real estate imaging business has than on the camera technology that it pioneered eight years ago."

"The opportunity is as much about the data and data services the company offers as it is about the technology and capture hardware that has gotten it this far today," Pittman told the Business Journal.

- 200 employees
- #33 million in revenue ending 2017
- priority markets: real estate, hotels, construction and insurance

Source: Silicon Valley Business

Much of what is covered in this article is an amplification of what has been in Matterport press releases about Matterport moving to device agnostic for data capture and the power of AI to enable 360ยบ cameras to be used with the Matterport platform.

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
"the former eBay...... product chief "

If that's the one who is responsible for all eBay updates they have done in the last three years he may be up for ruining Matterport.
Post 2 IP   flag post
topviewnz private msg quote post Address this user
Do you think that means no new Matterport (Pro3?) camera in the near future?

Doing research at the moment into whether I want to buy the Pro2 camera.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
If you ask me I do not know but it looks to me they are more concerned now with making their platform compatible with other camera brands. They even put an announcement(a pop up) into MSP face on their website saying that they are doing it like it should make any MSP happy.

I just hope it is going to be a bit harder to do scans for example with a Ricoh camera than it takes with Matterport Pro 2. If it is not increase their time on a site and processing time at all we who own their $6000 cameras will be doomed as people with much cheaper cameras can and will start doing tours cheaper.

I would recommend to wait and not buy their camera now. At the end of the day you can get a pretty decent 360 degree camera to do tours and use their cloud and you will spend a few times less on it comparing to their Pro2 or cheaper versions.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@topviewnz Pittman has recently hired on other former colleagues including one that is involved in hardware development. It is possible that there is interest from him in a 'Pro-3' or in at least researching the possibilities of what could be created. It is also likely that Matterport may work on their own branded 'Cortex' device.

@Wingman - Shooting a tour with a Ricoh Theta vs Matterport is like taking photos of a property with an iPhone vs a DSLR. It's -not- suitable for marketing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
Shooting a tour with a Ricoh Theta vs Matterport is like taking photos of a property with an iPhone vs a DSLR. It's -not- suitable for marketing.

I can only guess that since I have never tried it. However I can still see great examples of doing it with this camera for google inside view.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: The Matterport Shake-Up (Cortex, Pittman) - The Aspect: VR News E2 | Video courtesy of Rafael A. Renteria YouTube Channel

Hi All,

While this video is nearly two months old (7 March 2019), it's interesting analysis and insight from college student, Rafael A. Renteria, whom is studying our space (and recently started shooting Google Street View Tours (see this WGAN Forum discussion).

Your thoughts?

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
101422 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?