Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,045 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Google Street ViewGSV

Google is shutting down its dedicated Street View app in 202317758

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

9to5Google (1 November 2022) Google is shutting down its dedicated Street View app next year
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Google is Shutting Down the Street View App! | Video courtesy of Momentum 360 YouTube Channel | 3 November 2022
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
I found this to be an interesting read - Translated from a Japanese version of this article.

How are you doing with the conversion? Wait till next year to care? My 3DVista froze up trying to go to Street View today. Not sure what is in store for this, Matterport and Cloudpano to upload to GSV in the future.

I use Apple phones - so no luck with Google Camera and Street View App. GoThru doesn't seem to work well in US and charges for more than 4 images uploaded.

What do you think will happen with this phasing out next March?

"About the abolition of the SV app

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/1/23435733/google-maps-street-view-standalone-app-discontinue-support

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GoogleStreetViewTrustedPhotographers/posts/2338268829682150

https://www.facebook.com/groups/590767105004210/posts/1302757067138540/

What these articles show is disappointing.
Google failed to improve various glitches in the SV app and eventually chose to throw it out.
But it doesn't affect my work at all.

The features currently provided by the SV app are listed below.

◆1. Browse Street View
◆2a. Shooting Photo Path
◆2b. Shooting a Photo Sphere
◆2c. Import 360-photos
◆2d. Shooting still images and videos by controlling the 360-camera
◆3a. Upload Photo Path
◆3b. Photo Sphere, 360-photos upload
◆3c. Upload video
◆4a. Delete Photo Path
◆4b. Deletion of Photo Sphere and 360-photos
◆4c. Deletion of SV created in Video
◆ 5. Browsing statistical information about SV
- -
For each of the above functions, we examined whether it is possible to work with methods other than the SV app, and summarized them as follows.
◆1. Browse Street View
This is possible using the Google Maps app.
◆ 2a. Shooting Photo Path
Shooting is easy. But it is impossible to upload.
◆ 2b. Shooting a Photo Sphere
You can shoot by using other camera apps such as Google Camera.
◆2c. Import 360-photos
This feature becomes not required.
◆2d. Shooting still images and videos by controlling the 360-camera
It is possible by using the camera manufacturer's app. (However, shooting modes that were provided only when used from the SV app will no longer be available.)
◆3a. Upload Photo Path
Impossible.
◆3b. Photo Sphere, 360-photos upload
If you just upload, it is possible by using the Google Maps app. The coordinates will be the same as the POI.
◆3c. Upload video
It is possible by using Street View Studio.
Many people are already using Dean's tools by now.
Services such as GoThru are also available.
◆4a. Delete Photo Path
Impossible.
◆4b. Deletion of Photo Sphere and 360-photos
It should be possible by using the Google Maps app. But I'm not very confident.
You can do this by using services such as GoThru.
◆4c. Deletion of SV created in Video
It is possible by using Street View Studio.
◆ 5. Browsing statistical information about SV
Maybe impossible.
- -
The ability to connect Photo Sphere, 360-photos has already been removed by now.
So if you want to do that, you still have to use a third-party service like GoThru.
This is not a change at this time.
I wrote this at a time when Google was pushing Photo Path to replace SV.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GoogleStreetViewTrustedPhotographers/permalink/1908197309355973/

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Announcements/Introducing-Photo-Paths-and-more-in-the-updated-Street-View-app/bc-p/2797416/highlight/true?fbclid=IwAR3JY1BFuUDJzuNQl9llIYQfQ25H_vV1I-LpWjmBcCI7Ea9s9pPHU0leJSs#M82123

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Announcements/Introducing-Photo-Paths-and-more-in-the-updated-Street-View-app/bc-p/2796432/highlight/true?fbclid=IwAR3JY1BFuUDJzuNQl9llIYQfQ25H_vV1I-LpWjmBcCI7Ea9s9pPHU0leJSs#M82019

However, Photo Path seems to be deprecated in its own right.
It is unclear how Photo Path, as it currently exists, will be handled in the future.
Therefore, if there is a Photo Path that you want to delete, I think you need to delete it with the current SV app.
The SV app was already barely functioning for video shooting.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GoogleStreetViewTrustedPhotographers/permalink/1924365921072445/

- -
Also, Google seems to have decided that user-created SVs are not profitable for Google's future revenue.
Google needs up-to-date 3D models of roads as a database for autonomous driving. It will be a big source of revenue for Google in the future.
However, the SV image created by the user contains the following defects, so it is not very useful as data for automatic driving.
・The image is not clear.
・Insufficient accuracy of coordinates and directions
- Accuracy of shooting time is not enough
・SVs such as treks, promenades, bicycle lanes, and gardens are useful for local users and tourism operators, but are not necessary as data for autonomous driving.
・Indoor SV is not necessary for autonomous driving data
So Google has already made it clear that Trek's SV is not needed by Google.
- -
I wrote an outline above.
Below is the Japanese version of this article.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/590767105004210/posts/1305590680188512 [no longer available]
Post 3 IP   flag post
Aldean private msg quote post Address this user
How is this going to impact our Matterport publish to Street View ADD-ON capability?
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Aldean

Publish Matterport to Google Street View should not be impacted by Google shutting down its Google Street View app.

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Google Street View Will Be Gone Soon! | Video courtesy of Momentum 360 YouTube Channel | 13 March 2023
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
I've seen a small uptick in GSV 360's which I publish through Matterport. It's so easy & republishing is super fast. This is what I have determined is a good use for my Theta Z1 moving forward, since my Pro2 is a must for real estate. And I have an extra iPad, So I might hire a commission-based scan tech (I can train) and have them just hit every business & professional office in the area of over 1 million people, and provide instant 360 tours or schedule the shoot.

However, some people charge INSANE $$ for a few scans being so easy to do.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone think about maybe there would be a day that Matterport may close their server. What could you do and what you would left in your hand after that, beside a big black box?
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
@JuMP I would get my real estate license for 5 years make $2 million then sell my house, take a great gain and move to SEA.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@GETMYVR prepare in advance for the "disaster", then you don't need move to SEA.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
@JuMP I was kidding, but Google seems to be shuttering many APPS, making everything web-based. It would be nice to just integrate some GSV features into Google MAPS since many people use it all the time.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
To be honest I am not surprised they are shutting it down cutting off amateur photographers from ability to publish street view. Below is a 360 from one guy from my area. Apart from not being levelled at all it is actually more 30-50 meters away from the business it belongs to. You cannot even see the business as it is across a big road. And yet the pano is placed on an actual business on maps while it is captured far away. And all of the 360 from that guy is done the same way. Not all unlevelled of course but why would one even do such a service to a business trying to promote it with something like this.

https://goo.gl/maps/4kbhEbXo8FMKLBjp6
Post 12 IP   flag post
101587 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?