Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AndroidCortex AIMashupsMinecraftRDTosolini Productions

[R&D] Mattercraft (Matterport + Minecraft)17531

Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user

This is a mash-up proof of concept of extracting 8K panoramas from a game and importing them into Capture for Android to stress test Cortex AI reconstruction. 360 images extracted from Minecraft using the Replay Mod. Additional links:

- MP 3D Tours meet Minecraft in Education
- Mattercraft 3D tour
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
This is a great idea!

@tosolini How many panos did you use for your model? I have recently created this one from renderings from the 3DVista market.

Unfortunately not enough panos and too big distances between “scans” for a perfect dollhouse.

Maybe I should reupload the panos and pretend, that this is a Pro3 🤣

Here is the link to the model
Post 2 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
@meshimages Your dollhouse is way better than mine :-) After 4 failed attempts, I used 8 images and imported them one by one to make sure they could align correctly. When I created too many panos, the Capture app would not align correctly, so I opted for less. I had to trim away random artifacts too. Long story short, Minecraft textures are far from ideal for this kind of reconstruction.

Conversely, your dollhouse is pretty good in my opinion. I wonder if extracting additional panos at an elevated height would fix some of the imperfections with the windows.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosolini
Conversely, your dollhouse is pretty good in my opinion. I wonder if extracting additional panos at an elevated height would fix some of the imperfections with the windows.

Yes, but maybe Matterport will soon change has already changed the rendering and alignment process in the app due to the new scannning range of the Pro3.

In the press release for the Pro3 an update for Cortex AI has been announced saying that "Matterport’s Cortex AI engine is upgraded to capture 5x higher range, enabling customers to transform their interior and exterior spaces, even when encountering difficult foliage, lighting and reflective surfaces."

I will try this first.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
Meidansha private msg quote post Address this user
@MeshImages The update would be interesting from using panos made with a DSLR or mirrorless camera too.

I've noticed that the panos I make with my Sony α7R4 and a 20mm wide angle lens make huge spots on the capture app. If the system was better able to process the alignment it would be great. We wouldn't need a 360 camera at all.

This space was made with one spot.

Post 5 IP   flag post
@Meidansha Impressive example - 15 meter range

Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
Yes, Nice clear weather and uninterupted flat scene helped but I imagine it is in part the camera has a 61 million pixel sensor used in 40 directions making this a gigapixel panorama. I did compress it and I think Matterport Capture did too but still...
Post 7 IP   flag post
This has not worked yet.

Maybe I have to update the capture app or re-upload the 360s.

Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
It's bizarre that yours are squares rather than circles
Post 9 IP   flag post
Hmmm, the Android capture shows better coverage, when I re-upload 360s.

I will place all images a second time and reupload. But this will take me a day on my Samsung S10 5G, it´s really slow!
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Tosolini

Wow!!! (!!!) and congrats.

That's SO awesome how you take the 360s from Minecraft and import them into Matterport via Android capture.

Plus, you have been thinking about Matterport + Minecraft for (at least) six years:

Matterport 3D Tours meet Minecraft in Education

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosolini
What happens when you challenge two middle school students to recreate in Minecraft an ancient Roman site using nothing else than a virtual tour?

This is the case of my 12 year old son and his friend who spent 60h of Minecraft modeling time to reconstruct the 1000-year old Basilica of Aquileia in Italy.

Starting from a high fidelity MP 3D tour of the Basilica, they carefully chose materials and positioned blocks to closely resemble the original site.

Original 3D tour at http://bit.ly/3daquileia
If you own a Samsung Gear VR headset, this model is also available as one of the default demos of the MP app.

Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Lisbon, Portugal and London
Pedrotex69 private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations Tosolini,

You did it again, and by the look of it we have another Tosolini on the pipe line, my congratulations to him and his friend also.

You keep enovating and making us all to be able to dream futher.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
@pedrotex69 thanks for the kind words :-)
Post 13 IP   flag post
101437 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?