Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
OutdoorsSeparate StructuresShow Tour

Separate Structures, 1 Matterport scan?17024

johnwheatley private msg quote post Address this user
I am being asked to scan a property which has a house and a separate shop that has an attached apartment. How can I include both structures in one scan? Or will I need to host two separate scans. I'd rather not have to charge him for two scans. How do you handle this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@johnwheatley

Charge for two Matterport tours or charge for outdoor scanning (an art with a Matterport PRo2 3D Camera done before the sun rises or after the sunrises or when a building blocks the sun).

—-

We Get Around Atlanta did a barn/apartment on many acres along with the house.

Instead of scanning the half-mile to the barn/apt, we did Matterport MatterTags in each so that you can see the barn/apt without leaving the house.

Here's how we delivered this Matterport Tour using WP3D Models for the Single Property Website.

The drone video was provided the agent.

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@johnwheatley

Time of day, combination of a Pro Camera and a supported 360, & some patients

It all comes down to lighting and distance between structures

This was done with a mix of the Pro2 and a Ricoh Theta Z1:

Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Right lighting conditions it could be done with just a Pro2 but, it can be finicky and does require more time and patients
Post 4 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@johnwheatley how large is the separate structures, can that space be covered with a few 360 views in Matterport. I have not tried this but like Dan pointed out Mattertags, but link them directly to the 360 views.
Post 5 IP   flag post
johnwheatley private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Thanks Dan! BTW, the link you posted is broken.

@lilnitsch - Wait. Why the use of a supported 360 camera? I have a Z1. Can the Z1 be used in direct sunlight?
Post 6 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
@johnwheatley

matterport app can be connected to supported 360 cameras, and the matterport pro camera.

matterport pro camera uses IR to collect 3d data, to help create the dollhouse and for alignment and stitching. Hence sunlight messes up with the IR light sensor.

supported 360 cameras dont have IR. its just 360 image so you can take a photo in sunlight.
matterport app then uses its AI, Cortex, to guess where to place this 360 image in the tour and 'create 3d data' out of an essentially 2D image.

hope this helps
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@johnwheatley Z1 is great to add to an existing scan project because it shows the detail of ground coverage, and could be a nice feeling in between both major spaces you're looking to scan. Either way if you're using a Pro 2 3D camera then definitely start at like 7:00 to 8:00 a.m. in between properties I would also lower the tripod.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@johnwheatley

Using the Z1 is quite a bit quicker and easier than trying to do the the 360 conversion to 3D and the 360 to 3D conversion doesn't always work consistently
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @johnwheatley
@DanSmigrod Thanks Dan! BTW, the link you posted is broken.

I updated the link. It should work now (does for me).

Thanks,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Dan has mentioned two best options I'd use for such scenario. If you can do it before Sunrise that would be the best because it will be getting brighter. After the Sunset you will get next frame darker and darker with every next frame.

Also sometimes a property location can make it easier and can give you extra time.

I made this one two days ago. I started at 3:30PM with the Sunset expected to be around 5:00PM. However this property is located below a road so I could easily scan in front of this house before even the sunset. It worked exactly as it would be working indoor.

I ended up scanning everything when it was quite dark. Check the 360 view located at the back of the house. That's the only one this dark. The previous ones were done in a gazebo with its light on.

You have about 30 minutes before the Sunrise when it is already bright enough to produce good details 360s. With 50 seconds per scan, 10 seconds to move a camera and say 2-3 meters between scans you can make about 30 scans. It should cover 60-90 meters long path.

Converting Matterport 360s into 3D or using a 360 camera is also an option. But sometimes even with a lot of close by vertical features to align with like on a long verandah wrapped around a building there can be a huge misalignment. Cortex may place it right on spot but screws up an angle it is placed so verandah is going away from a building wall.

It happened to me on this Monday when I was doing local pub venues. It could be fixed with manual alignment like we have already in Android version of the capture app but until it comes to IOS using Cortex can produce bad results that you won't be able to fix.
So in the case with the pub that I did not want to screw up I brought my BLK360, removed all converted 360s and rescanned it with the BLK360. It took me one hour to do two completely sunlit verandas on two floors. One was about 30 meters long and another was 18 meters. I lost 30 minutes on this Cortex thing which simply was a waste of time at the end.

I can share the pub tour once it is approved by the client. I have done 5 pubs for them already and a lot more is coming.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Founder
Show & Tour
Leawood, Kansas
JoshMais private msg quote post Address this user
Hey @johnwheatley, another option would be to use a Show & Tour media player to place the main house model in one tab, and then the shop model in another tab.

Here are a couple examples of how you can use this tool to combine different types of tours.

Post 12 IP   flag post
101646 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?