Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AndroidBackupCaptureHow ToiExploreriMazingiOSRestoreTrainingVideo

Video: How to Restore Matterport Models to Capture on iOS or Android14670

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: How to Restore Matterport Models to Capture on iOS or Android | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 15 April 2021

From the Matterport YouTube Channel:

Now that you've seen our videos on how to backup your Capture data (see links below), this video will help answer any restore questions you may have. Use the content index below to quickly navigate to what you need.

Backup your models: https://youtu.be/USgFRrzJEQ4

Backup without using iTunes: https://youtu.be/diUQKDD7ZWA

0:00​ Intro -
0:39​ Restoring everything using iTunes -
2:25​ Restoring everything using iExplorer -
3:37​ Restoring specific models -
5:21​ Restoring specific models w/Airdrop -
7:07​ Restoring to Android -

iExplorer - https://macroplant.com/iexplorer
iMazing - https://imazing.com/

Source: Matterport YouTube Channel

---

More Training: WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport)
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: How to Restore Matterport Models to Capture on iOS or Android | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 15 April 2021

Transcript (video above)

Amir Frank (00:02):
Welcome, Matterporters. I want to talk to you about how to restore your Capture data into your iOS or Android device so you can go ahead and keep going with your scan job. I'll go ahead and break this up into restoring everything that you've previously captured. Meaning, if you captured everything from your Capture app onto your computer and just you want to restore that whole bunch of models, all of the models. And then we'll talk about restoring individual models.

Amir Frank (00:27):
We'll also talk about restoring models into iOS versus restoring into Android. So down in the description below, you'll find quick links to get to all of those separate topics, so you can use that for a quick navigation. Let's first look at restoring everything that you backed up, meaning not just a specific model, but you previously backed up everything from Capture. Maybe you're upgrading to a new device and you just want to restore everything back in there.

Amir Frank (00:52):
In order to restore everything that you previously backed up, I would recommend using iTunes if you have it. If you don't have it, you can either use iExplorer or the finder window in a newer Mac. And if you're on a PC, again, you can use iTunes or iExplorer to do this. Let's go ahead and start by using iTunes and then I'll show you how to do it using iExplorer.

Amir Frank (01:12):
So in iTunes, I've got my iPad connected via the USB cable and I'm just going to come up here and press this little icon, this button right here. That's my iPad. And what this allows me to do is go to the file sharing option here and then I can go into Capture. And this shows me everything that's within Capture and I have this jobs folder, but you can see that there's zero kilobytes in there. So there's nothing in there whatsoever.

Amir Frank (01:40):
So in this case, what I want to do is I'll just go into my desktop. I'll grab the jobs folder that I previously backed up. And I'm just going to go ahead and drag that right in here. It's going to ask me if I want to replace the current jobs folder, yes. Again, because it just doesn't have anything in there. So let's go ahead and hit replace and it's going to start copying everything over. You can see the status bar up here is slowly making its way.

Amir Frank (02:05):
Once that's done, it's very important if you have Capture running, go ahead and kill Capture by double-tapping or swiping up and just getting rid of Capture from running in the background. For anybody who does not have iTunes, if you're using a newer Mac, you can use the finder window very much similar to what I'm about to show you using iExplorer. And if you're not running a new Mac that has the ability of accessing the files on your iPad or iPhone with the finder, you can use iExplorer, for example, on a PC.

Amir Frank (02:36):
I'll go ahead and leave a link to iExplorer and iMazing, both are very similar, in the description below. Let's go ahead and check out what you would do in that case. With iExplorer open, I can just expand the apps tab right here and go into Capture. Same thing as with iTunes. I can just see the folder structure within Capture, open up documents, and then I have right here, you can see in this case I don't have a jobs folder. And so again, I'm just going to go out here to my desktop, grab this jobs folder and drop it right in here. I don't want it to go inside one of these folders. So be careful. Make sure you drop it in between or just right into the documents folder.

Amir Frank (03:20):
And you see the jobs folder popped up right here. Just like with iTunes, we want to make sure that Capture is killed from running in the background. And then when we relaunch, it'll look for those jobs and it'll rebuild all those database files accordingly. So that's it for restoring everything back into Capture on your iOS device. We'll talk about Android restoring in a second, but right now I want to cover just restoring specific jobs that you may want to bring back into Capture, work on them a little bit and re-upload for more processing.

Amir Frank (03:49):
The way to restore that single model or just on one jobs folder is very simple by taking just that specific job sub folder and putting that back into the jobs folder in Capture. Now it's super, super important to make sure that if this model has duplicates in Capture, if you know that you've created duplicates of it, it's going to be spread across multiple sub folders within the jobs folder. And so you want to make sure that you restore all of those.

Amir Frank (04:18):
You can't just restore one of them and have everything you need. So make sure that you go through all of those sub folders. If you need to, you can just open them up, look at the floor thumbnail and let's say this looks like it's part of it. And this one doesn't have anything in it. I go into here, I'll go looking at the thumbnail. This is a different model so it's not part of it, and so on and so forth. I want to be very careful to restore everything. In this case, I just have the one folder for this model. It's a very small model. So I'll just grab this and I'll go back in here and just put it directly into the jobs folder.

Amir Frank (05:01):
That's something that you would not be able to do if you're using iTunes or the finder. This is something that's unique to iExplorer. So for restoring just single jobs, again, that data might be spread across multiple folders. Make sure you bring all of them in and use iExplorer to drop them into the jobs folder. If however you're using Capture 4.2, you can do this a little bit differently. In which case, I can just use AirDrop to bring back that zipped up export that I did from 4.2 or 4.1 when I exported just that one model.

Amir Frank (05:36):
Or again, if I'm restoring from previous backups that have all of the folders, then I can just take that one folder or multiple folders that equal the single model, bring that over using AirDrop, just grab that one model folder. And I just want to make sure that this is the right one. Nope, I think this is it. So I'll take that. I'll drop it in here. Once again, if your model is spread across multiple folders because you've made those duplicates in Capture, that's fine. Just grab all those folders and drop it in there.

Amir Frank (06:13):
Now on my iPad, I want to say open with files. I've got the Files app installed on my iPad and I've already created a sub folder called Matterport within Files. So I can just save it right in there and there it is. If I go back out to Matterport, I can see that it's right there with the eight items inside. And now as I go back home, launch Capture and say import. Say import from folder or import from zip, again, depending on what was copied over. I'll go ahead and import from folder in this case. And I can see those two models. There's the one that I want to import and just say done.

Amir Frank (06:51):
So you can use iExplorer to transfer jobs directly from your computer into Capture. You can do that with a Mac or PC. Or if you're on a Mac, you can use AirDrop to move them into the Files app. and then from there import them directly using the Capture app itself.

Amir Frank (07:07):
What about Android? First, let me just mention that you cannot back up a model in iOS and then transfer it and restore it into Android or vice versa. That's not going to be possible. They're very different file structures. With Android, if you backed up everything you have in Capture, you need to restore everything from that backup. You can't pick and choose models from within it. And if you backed up just a single model, then you can go ahead and restore just that single model. The reason being with Android, you can only restore the zip file and not just sub folders from within the zip file.

Amir Frank (07:39):
So let's go ahead and check out how that's done. I've gotten my Android phone right here. Whether you have your backup in the cloud in like a Google Drive account on a thumb drive, the way I described in the video that I have linked in the corner here, or whether you have it on your Mac or PC, it doesn't really matter. Basically, you need to get it into your phone's internal storage and into the downloads folder specifically. So I'm just going to go ahead and use my thumb drive. So I'll just plug it in right here in the bottom.

Amir Frank (08:07):
So we'll just go ahead and open up the Files app and I'll go into downloads and you can see that right now I have the Capture backup that I did a while back, but I don't want this whole thing. What I want is specifically one model. So I'll get out of here and I'll go into my XDisk. And I just want this one, this studio.zip. This was a backup that I did for this one studio project. And I'm just going to go ahead and copy that and I'll go into internal storage, I'll go into downloads and I just want to copy it right here into downloads, copy here.

Amir Frank (08:42):
And now I want to launch Capture. Go into the menu, go into help and support, scroll down to the bottom, say import jobs. And now I get the option between the studio.zip that I just copied over or the backup from March. So I'll just choose studio.zip. Okay, and that's it. Everything I need now has been restored into Capture and I can continue with my job.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I do not get it why we are talking about Itunes or iExplorer when they have added export jobs function to the capture app.

So I would appreciate Amir saying how to import them back to the Capture app. It seems they have forgotten about bringing them back after zipping them through that function and saving them where you want.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
sorry I see something in transcript about it. Will watch it or read it in full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Frank
And now I want to launch Capture. Go into the menu, go into help and support, scroll down to the bottom, say import jobs

There is no "Import jobs" option in the capture app, you can only export jobs and it is one by one which can take significant amount of time if you have over 100 of them stored.
Post 4 IP   flag post
101634 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?