Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CaptureSimultaneously

Useless surprise? - use one MP Pro camera with two iPads, simultaneously13557

WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Yesterday I was at a home with a friend who I am training to shoot Matterport. We found that both our iPads could connect to one Pro camera simultaneously. I would press "capture" button and do a scan, then he would do the same. Alternating like this through the whole house, we both built the same model as I gave my friend tips on scanning, markup and such. Worked perfectly.

So far I can't think of any real value in being able to do this except training, but I was surprised it worked.

FYI, the 'capture button' was white (ready to go) on iPad #2 while #1 was capturing, but pressing it would do nothing. iPad #2 would be able to trigger the Pro camera as soon as the previous one had begun the "transfer" step.

Here's a photo.

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
That's interesting.. thanks for sharing!
Post 2 IP   flag post
wishing_well private msg quote post Address this user
That's amazing. Could you potentially pair more than one device and have two people mapping a space with two separate devices, feeding into the one model?
Post 3 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
The real value would be run two cameras on one large property then merge the models onto one iPad and then process. Would speed up the on-site time.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
These suggestions ARE interesting. I wonder, what if for example in a large office, both iPads, or in theory even three or four, commonly record a half dozen scan positions in a lobby (like in the photo above at a home), these being completely identical scans from the same camera. Then each person uses a different Pro camera and branches out to cover various different suites in a large building.

Maybe the fact that each "model" shares the identical same six scans at the beginning means that stitching the various models together becomes much easier, as they automatically can "align".

Dan, maybe ask Amir to weigh in on this concept.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3D
I wonder, what if for example in a large office, both iPads, or in theory even three or four, commonly record a half dozen scan positions in a lobby (like in the photo above at a home), these being completely identical scans from the same camera. Then each person uses a different Pro camera and branches out to cover various different suites in a large building.

If Matterport do backup and restore of scans as promised recently then it would be just easier to scan a common part on one ipad and them duplicate this part on any extra Ipad involved.

your scenario however suggesting that each operator would have to scan the lobby which would be a waste of time.

I honestly do not know why they have done this "two ipads one camera" thing. I cannot think of anything why it would be needed to anyone.
Post 6 IP   flag post
dave3d private msg quote post Address this user
Keep in mind when trying to align Matterport looks from the last scan point first. If the software has trouble there the AI looks at the whole scan for best choice. Avoiding a bad scan placement would be a nightmare/impossible and alignment can’t check 2 points. Plus tours would have some jumping in them at times.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@Home3D My thought precisely - having possibly 2 cameramen on the same job, one starts upstairs, the other in the basement - and meet in the middle but I think Both camera's plugged into the same account opened on 2 seperate iPads. Could it work?
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
@GETMYVR - the key though is the opposite order. Both iPads start with the same first few scans and then branch out in separate directions.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@Home3D makes sense for orientation... I realized that after my post
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3D
@GETMYVR - the key though is the opposite order. Both iPads start with the same first few scans and then branch out in separate directions.

I was going to suggest that each operator would do a separate floor and then ask Materport to merge two into one. However your solution is much better. Plus now I can see a reason why some of us may want to have this feature.
Post 11 IP   flag post
wishing_well private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone actually tried this on a real job yet? I don't have the equipment but I am very interested to find out. It's kind of a game changer in terms of speed of capture if it works.
Post 12 IP   flag post
101437 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?