Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 1,001 Unique Visitors
9,054 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,924 Page Views | 18,799 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360How ToMarketingQuestion of the Day

Future of Photography = Photogrammetry?13478

PickChuck private msg quote post Address this user
I ran across this and thought it was very interesting.

https://rd.nytimes.com/projects/reconstructing-journalistic-scenes-in-3d

Chuck
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Premium
Lahaina, Hawaii
Skeeter private msg quote post Address this user
Very cool.

Mahalo for sharing.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I would not call it future of photography but it is definitely a future of making objects in 3D

I have tried Agisoft Metashape recently for that reason. if you care about taking photos with some decent overlap you will get a 3D model built. It takes time and computer resources but it works.

And just two days ago I saw that Adobe is stepping into photogrammetry with their Scantastic project.

clickable text
Post 3 IP   flag post
Marshallartsmedia private msg quote post Address this user
We used photogrammetry extensively on a recent art exhibition to capture sculpture. It is a ton of work, the shooting is straightforward but some objects are harder than others to capture, reflective, transparent and black objects are particular challenges. There’s a lot of post production to get even close to those and we didn’t always succeed as we would have liked. It has been used in the heritage and museum sector for ages and as you say for larger scale work even creating building and city models from drone shots. It’s amazing that it can be done but it’s not as easy as it may appear. Lidar plus photogrammetry is a good mix, you can add multiple sources in the same model. For my needs it proves pretty expensive to produce compared to 2D work on frames but for now it does set our work apart from other gallery stuff I have seen.
Post 4 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @Marshallartsmedia photogrammetry nice but way more work to create. If 3D is the true end goal built in lidars are moving in that direction but 3d still a long way off from everyday use without more expensive equip. There are other software products that build 3d models from photos or phone video.
Post 5 IP   flag post
PickChuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman Thanks for sharing the adobe link. That looks fantastic. That's a direction I will be going.

@Marshallartsmedia @ron0987 Completely agree with you both on the expense and degree of work, at the moment.

But...go back to the 80's and early 90's and we were shooting 4 x 5 transparencies in the studio, Medium format at weddings, portraits and commercial work, shooting from helicopters for aerials, heavy video cameras shooting beta cam (lost money on that one)LOL, Hasselblad's with housings underwater and developing and printing in our labs.

Now...we have digital cameras with amazing ISO, low noise, autofocus, video cameras that fit in our pocket, phones that can capture video, stills and audio, drones that can do things never dreamed possible with aircraft and computers and software that can do editing, mastering and video work rivaling anything imagined.

I am so excited about today and the future of photography. It's always perspective and vision that keeps us going and growing.

Remember the tale of the two little boys put in a pony stall full of pony poop and was told to clean out the stall. The first little boy sat down in the corner and pondered his task. The second little boy started cleaning the stall with furry. When asked what he was doing he said, "with this much pony poop in here, there must be a pony under it and it's mine".

I want to be the second little boy. Who is with me?

Have a wonderful day,

Chuck
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Saugatuck, Michigan
fotoguy private msg quote post Address this user
I'm old enough to remember the photography magazines saying digital would never take over. Never say never.
Post 7 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@fotoguy I don't think anyone is thinking this 3D modeling is not coming I just think the way you get there is the question. I have been using photogrammetry for about 15 years and it definitely has got easier and faster but if there is a faster, easier, price appropriate process why not use it. I just thing there is still some specific uses for photogrammetry but now days the price of 3d scanners are dropping and accuracy is better I think that would be the route to go. Again just my opinion.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101723 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?