Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GPSPilot OneSTL

GPS module for Pilot One has a poor design12222

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys,

I hope Dan has seen it on the Labpano facebook but just in case he has not one member reported that his GPS module broke due to the weight of his Pilot One sitting on it and had his module split and his camera dropped.

So if you have got one be very careful.
Labpano is aware of it and working on it trying to improve it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
RichardStanton private msg quote post Address this user
I actually have one coming on Monday... with the GPS mod. What do you mean by split? Once I get it I can scan the unit with them connected and see if I can come up with a 3d printable design to re-enforce it while they are together. But I will need to understand how exactly it "split"? Sorry he had his take a dive, but maybe I can save myself and others the same fate (if I make a design that works I will happily share the STL with everyone)! Pictures would be best, but description is better than nothing - this way I can understand how and where it failed for my CAD efforts.

Thanks for the heads up BTW! (literally)
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

Yes. Thank you for the heads-up. (Ugh!) (I am on high-alert to be extra careful/mindful of potential challenges.

@RichardStanton

My Labpano Pilot One GPS module is (now) scheduled to arrive this Tuesday (16 June 2020) instead of Monday, according to DHL. Thank you for sharing the STL file. Hopefully, we will not need to do this!

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Wow very timely, I just received an email from them this morning:

"..Dear Valued Customer,

We' are writing to inform you that we have discovered a potential mechanical failure with the Pilot One GPS module whereby the mounting point can break out of the housing during usage causing damage to both the GPS module and the camera..."

@DanSmigrod mine is *knock on wood* still due Monday, but I had them combine the shipping of the module and the unit into a single box. Sadly I missed out on the affiliate special in which it was included. It sounds like we will be experimenting with the same devices around the same time though, let's keep an open line of communication so that one of us can avoid the struggles already burdened by the other! Even if they do come out with a "solution" I will still scan the housings so I can keep a base wire frame and probably STILL make an extra support regardless. I have had 3 3d printers printing nothing but COVID masks for the local hospitals and open business' for the last many weeks. Now that things are getting caught up I can start printing "other stuff". So, if 3D printer is not accessible and the design proves useful I'd be happy to make a few copies as well.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @RichardStanton
We' are writing to inform you that we have discovered a potential mechanical failure with the Pilot One GPS module whereby the mounting point can break out of the housing during usage causing damage to both the GPS module and the camera..."

Yikes!

Sounds like I'll need your STL file! Thanks in advance. And, yes. I will keep you (all) posted. Was so hoping to create GSV blue-lines the day that it arrives.

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Kumar private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod You can still dare to drive it with some nice and wide enough taping around camera and module in common
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Kumar

Ah! Duct tape! The universal solution.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Kingston, New York
glennf35 private msg quote post Address this user
I received the pilot one GPS module 2 days ago. There is way too much flex happening at both connection points when it is fully tightened. With every movement, there is a noticeable wobble that is not at all present when just the pilot one is on the tripod. I also found that after wobbling for a little while the base screw between the pilot one and GPS mod begins to loosen. Also, the wheel gear that you tighten it to the pilot with a fingernail is plastic and barely protrudes from the side. When the wheel is fully tightened there is 1/4" of play backend forth on the wheel. I'll be connecting a cable usb-c male to usb-c female cable between the GPS and pilot.
Video
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@glennf35

Wow! That's crazy! Thanks for the video. That's a huge help seeing what's happening. I am super-surprised that this passed their Quality Assurance (QA) process.

I am (was?) planning to use this Tuesday for Google Street View with this configuration ..

@glennf35
@Kumar
@RichardStanton
@Wingman

Your thoughts on how I can/should proceed with Google Street View testing the week of 15 June?

A. Wait for STL file from @RichardStanton
B. Duck Tape
C. Wait for Labpano instructions
D. Other

Thanks,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Kingston, New York
I'm going to run a 6ft usb-c male to usb-c female cable between the pilot and GPS and place the GPS mod and my battery pack in a backpack, or tape it to my car roof below with electrical tape.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@glennf35

Ah! Perfect: a safe workaround will Lappano comes up with a long-term solution.

Thanks for that!

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
Wow. Well the good news is I received my unit today/early. Upon examination of the GPS mod I noticed that the mounting screw INTEGRAL to the GPS mod is so loose in the housing that just resting a finger on it makes it move a disturbing amount. I am considering designs for a semi-permanent "band-aid" as this looks like the kind of manufacturing issue that is not likely to have a quick solution. I'll CAD up a few test designs and print some test models - if I am able to come up with something that fits the bill I will share the model (or model(s)). I have a few ideas already; Wish me luck!
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Hi All,

Nice surprise.

Labpano Pilot One GPS module was delivered today (Saturday, 13 June 2020) instead of Tuesday.

Pleasantly surprised that the Labpano Pilot One GPS module is more snug (than posts have implied, BUT, still doesn't feel secure enough.

So, I will likely run a USB-C cable between the Labpano Pilot One GPS module and the Labpano Pilot One, until @RichardStanton comes up with a 3D printable file to insure that the two units stay together.

( My wife says, "just duct tape it together!" ) I suppose that's an option, but I would prefer not to mar the aesthetic design.)

I will have time tomorrow, Sunday, to try creating some Google Street View "blue-lines" of a local park's walking path.

Stay tuned ...

Dan

P.S. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @RichardStanton
I am considering designs for a semi-permanent "band-aid" as this looks like the kind of manufacturing issue that is not likely to have a quick solution. I'll CAD up a few test designs and print some test models - if I am able to come up with something that fits the bill I will share the model (or model(s)). I have a few ideas already; Wish me luck!

Good luck (and thanks in advance) ...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Kingston, New York
Unfortunately, I am also noticing much longer charging time when the GPS mod is attached. It took over 5 hours last night to get a full charge with power flowing through the GPS and Pilot power off. Removed the GPS and am charging now after shooting to 0%. Same cord and wall charger. In 60 minutes it went from 0 to 65% with Pilot power on while stitching. I suspect a portable battery charger though the GPS will be unable to keep the pilot battery adequately charged for extended street view recording.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

WGAN Forum Related Discussion

10 Things I learned shooting GSV of 3 Atlanta Parks with Labpano Pilot One

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Screen Grab: Message from Labpano about its Pilot One GPS Module, as found in the Labpano Community on Facebook on Sunday, 14 June 2020.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Berlin, Germany
3dblickwinkel private msg quote post Address this user
In Germany we say it is a very big cinema if somebody does a great thing. Big cinema from Labpano, many other companies should act like them concerning product issues. Customer support at its best. Thanks.

Dear valued customer,

An update on the Pilot One GPS module failure.

Thank you for your patience during the last few days while we have investigated the issue.

Firstly, we thank our customer Mr. Jan Mulak who reported the potential mechanical failure of the Pilot One GPS module whereby the top mounting point can break out of the housing during usage causing damage to both the GPS module and the camera.

Our test results confirmed that the connection between the GPS module and the camera are not strong enough. Hence we do not recommend you attach the GPS module and Pilot One directly, this may cause damage to the camera and potential harm to others.

Secondly, as a workaround, we recommend you use a USB-C extension cable (Specifications below) to connect the GPS module with Pilot One camera and ensure that the camera and the GPS module are attached securely.

We recommend mounting the GPS module with the Labpano Logo facing upwards for the best reception. At this time if you wish to use this workaround you need to be aware that you will need to make your own secure mounting bracket or the careful use of some protective foam and cable ties. Remember, don’t obscure the top surface with the Labpano logo because it will affect the quality of the GPS reception. If you are not comfortable making your own safe and secure mounting for the GPS module, please contact us via email.

Thirdly, as a courtesy, for customers who have already purchased a GPS module, we will arrange a full refund of the cost of the module to your PayPal account. We will also cover the cost of the USB-C extension cable for the customers who purchased the GPS module and the customers who ordered one free of charge via our opening promotional offer. Please email us your receipts for any USB-C cables you purchase so we can refund you accordingly via PayPal.

The following link is the extension cord for your reference.
https://item.jd.com/27793323199.html#none 0.18M
https://item.jd.com/23844046711.html# 0.2M
Recommended extension cable specification: USB3.1 Type-C male to female charging data extension cable (supports charging, data transmission, audio, and video)

Similar specification USB-C can be sourced locally or from online stores or other electronics retailers.

Fourthly, We will temporarily suspend the sale of the GPS module before we produce an effective method of improving the strength and stability of the connection between the GPS module and the camera.

Lastly, we are also looking into the feasibility of capturing GSV by utilizing the GPS within your mobile phone. We will keep you informed when we have further news.

Once again, thank you for your patience, understanding, and continuous support.

The Labpano Team
Post 17 IP   flag post
101429 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?