Hi All,

From the Matterport Support Live Q&A Thursday, 21 November 2019.

Transcript

Question: "Is there a maximum of scans I can do within one tour? I've heard of problems when reaching 1,000 scans."

Matterport Support: ... the supported number of scans is 200.

The reason why it is 200, yes you can definitely scan more than that 'cause if you get yourself an iPad Pro, you can potentially, you know, it's a very, very powerful iPad and sure, it'll be able to capture 1,000, maybe even more scans.

But, then, you may not be able to process all of those scans into a completed model. And if it was able to process all those scans, navigating your way through that model would be potentially incredibly frustrating, especially for older, slightly slower machines, that can't keep up.

So, because it's very important for Matterport to maintain consistency with the quality of their model from end-to-end, that's why 200 is the supported number right now.

Can you do a little bit more than that? Yeah, probably. I would take it in baby steps, a little bit at a time, and not jump to a 1,000 scan position model. In the end, I don't want to get too technical, but it's not about the number of scans, that's just a nice little rule of thumb that we like to use, to make it easy. But, it is more about the amount of surface area being scanned.

So, if you have a room that is 100 square feet, you can pack it full of 2,000 scans, it won't matter because it's just a small, 100 square foot room. However, if you have massive libraries, filled with shelves, and ducts in the ceiling, and there's tons of surface area, you could have a 200-300 scan position model. ...

... I would recommend that you start by trying to scan it all as a single model. If that fails, you can always create a duplicate in [the Matterport] Capture and from the duplicate remove half the scans, like remove all of floor one, and then make another duplicate from the original and from that duplicate remove all the scans from floor two, and now you have two models, one of floor one, one of floor two, and then you can link between them using matter tags in the link and it's a pretty seamless navigating.

Elevator or at the staircase, 'cause navigating or walking your way upstairs in a model, it doesn't really get you any more information about the structure or the space. It's just a staircase, so you may as well just throw a matter tag in there with a link to the next floor.

So that would be my suggestion. But you're certainly more than welcome to start by scanning it all into a single model just to see if it works. You can break it up into rooms, it doesn't have to be floors, any way that makes sense.

But start by scanning into a single model and if that fails, then it will have to be broken up into multiple models…”