Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Google Street ViewGSVPilot EraThe 360 Guy

Video: Pilot Era Review 6 Months Later: Best Value Pro 360 Camera?10265

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Pilot Era Review 6 Months Later: Best Value Pro 360 Camera? | Video courtesy of The 360 Guy (Sunday, 13 October 2019)

Hi All,

From The 360 Guy YouTube Channel:

---

The Pilot Era has been out for around 6 months now. I've finally got around to testing this professional 8K 360 camera after waiting for some software updates which have redically improved the camera specs.

The Pilot Era comes with a full LCD screen, 4GB RAM and 512GB of memory. This sets it apart from other professional 360 cameras which require the use of desktop software to stitch the 360 video they shoot. The Pilot Era can process all its video internally and removes a big chunk or workflow.

The Pilot Era can shoot 8K 360 video at 24fps as well at 6K at 30fps and 4K at 60fps. It can shoot high resolution HDR photos as well at livestream over a wired or wireless connection.

If you are interested in the Pilot Era as a cheaper option for shooting 8K 360 video then this review will show you the type of video you can get out of it.

---

Source: The 360 Guy YouTube Channel

---

Unfortunately, there is no mention in the review of using the Pilot Era to shoot and publish to Google Street View and there is just a half sentence on shooting 360ºs for Virtual Tours (which is likely its other major strength).

Your thoughts?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
It is about 32MP vs 27MP for a Z1 but its price is almost 3 times of a Theta Z1. It is an interesting device but not at the price they want for it. At least for me. If they had wanted $1500-1700 I would have considered it as a Z1 replacement.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman This is aimed at google street view blue lines, and 360 video. @DanSmigrod insta360 pro can stitch internally as well, and honestly the pilot era looks a little difficult to do anything custom with it. But since I don't have one I can't attest to all of that. Pilot era can post me a test device to .....
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonherbert
This is aimed at google street view blue lines, and 360 video.

I believe a Z1 can do all that too. So with just extra 20% of resolution I cannot see how triple cost of Era vs Z1 can be explained.

Screens(including touch screens) this size cost nothing these days($20-50) but the guys who make the camera seem to think they cost a fortune to add to a camera and ask for it almost $2000 more.
Technically they could even use a cheap $70 android smartphone to implement it in the camera body.

I would be more than happy to buy Era for $1200-1500 without a screen and control it from a phone. I think it would be even more handy and easier, rather than try to do it with a screen located on a camera.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman I defer to your better judgement.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101641 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?