Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GSV17

Video: Top-Lines News of Google Street View4524

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Hi All,

In this video, Google Street View Product Manager Charles Armstrong takes us through the top-line Google Street View announcements during the lunch break of day 2 at the 2017 Google Street View Summit in Tokyo today (11 May 2017).

I will be posting a ton of news, commentary and videos over the next two weeks - including many, very exciting, new 360º Cameras announced.

Thanks for your patience. It's nearly midnight in Tokyo and I am up at 5:20 am to begin my full-day journey home to Atlanta.

All the Google Street View Summit Forum Posts are tagged: GSV17

Domo,

Dan

P.S. ZZZzzzzz......

Post 1 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user

Take out --

The BEST devices are those that fit under the 'VR Ready' category as they include 3D Geometry. This is Matterport, NCTech Ltd, and InsideMaps.

InsideMaps must have a new product announcement as their current solution is from the current gen iPhone and does not include 3D Geometrry.

The 'Workflow Ready' category is what we are used to -- shoot panoramas and link them yourself. iGuide is listed #4 here, which I must congratulate them on -- what a great endorsement!

--

Next -

[url=https://developers.google.com/streetview/ready/specs-vr]https://developers.google.com/streetview/ready/specs-vr

Matterport is on this list, therefore, Matterport is promising:

Imagery
-- Geometry for the entire area represented by 360 photos, provided in XDM format
-- ≥15MP 360 photos
-- 360º horizontal FOV
-- ≥135º, contiguous vertical FOV
-- Google will review image and geometry quality

The Matterport Pro Camera does indeed create 8192 x 4096 (zenith and nadir aren't fully populated) images from the 2k tile sets -- this is about 15 megapixel.

Connectivity
-- Required: Wi-Fi w/ Open Spherical Camera (OSC) API v2 and/or Street View Publish API support
-- Optional: USB 3.1 w/ Open Spherical Camera (OSC) API v2

Now, Matterport can pick if they want to go the OSC route -- but they have Matterport Capture and will support the Street View Publish API.

Here's where it gets more interesting:

Geolocation

All VR cameras/systems must be capable of positioning 360 photos in global coordinates to within 1 meter of real-world locations.

Does Matterport support GPS? Simple answer: no.

Environmental geometry

"VR cameras that are capable of on-board image processing must convey area/image geometry according to the XDM metadata standard using Open Spherical Camera (OSC) API over Wi-Fi. Support for the API over USB 3.1 is optional.

VR camera systems that require external image processing must convey area/image geometry according to the XDM metadata standard and support upload via the Street View Publish API."

-- Now this means that Matterport, in order to be a 'VR Ready' device -- has done the legwork of making their 3D Mesh data compatible with XDM Metadata Standard. That, folks, is certainly is an area that Matterport are going above and beyond simply automating panorama submission via the Google Street View API using the relative positioning data from the existing platform.

--

However -

Exceptions

Exceptions may be granted for specific hardware and software solutions that do not match individual requirements but meet the overall end-to-end performance metrics stipulated in this document.

-- Matterport could also not have a solution for GPS and could just use the address information being submitted via Matterport Cloud to place the center of the tour on a location and then use the model data to accurately place panos within 1 meter.

--

Food for thought.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas

https://uploadvr.com/googles-new-street-view-ready-cameras-will-bring-world-vr/

So folks ... Street View is going to grow up and -actually- be VR with interaction, not just goggles and tricks -- but 3D Mesh with a controller -- I love that conceptual image.
Post 3 IP   flag post
VRimpact private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 - to get a GPS fix wouldnt be too hard for Ipads with GPS signal. Once the tour is created, there could just be a button that submits the GPS when we are doing the scan? or even auto complete this process when a tour is created.

For those without GPS on their Ipad, Maybe it will force you to Tether your Ipad to your phone to create the GPS lock?
I truly believe theres ways that arent too invasive for them to get past the GPS issue? What are your thoughts?

Loved your links and thought process guide on this. Extremely Helpful and intuitive. Thank you so much.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@VRimpact Google's new guidelines and distinctions between 4 types of Street View are very very interesting - and very helpful for marketing. It's hard to differentiate between different technologies and I'm excited that as Matterport Service Partners, we'll be able to distinguish that we offer Google Street View VR services whereas others offering cheap solutions are only offering basic Street View services.

Very happy with this reorganization and classification.
Post 5 IP   flag post
VRimpact private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 - Me Too. Its very exciting and encouraging times for MSP's. I love it! So do my clients and they cant get enough of the new features that a available and coming soon
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

About to board my Tokyo->Houston-->Atlanta flight is about to board. 18 hour journey home.

Thanks for your patience for me to post a ton of news, commentary and videos to the Forum from the Google Street View Summit.

Awesome event: enough to make your head spin.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
101436 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?