Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseBuyCamerasReal EstateRealtors

Is Matterport contemptuous toward us?3073

Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
I think matterports position on us as Tour Providers is quite contemptuous. I believe that they most likely think that we as 'Tour Service Providers' are just bitchy little people and as we are only a 'few', they don't really need to listen to us. Why? Well I think because we don't represent much of their sales compared to Realtors and other businesses.

What they fail to realize is that when it comes to long-term sales we are the 'Generals' of the Army and the rest are just 'Privates'. Failure to listen to the Generals will result in a losing battle of survival when a new enemy comes along. The enemy being new competitors.

I can compare Matterports business model to that of the once global Giant of Photography, Kodak. Only its the other way around. To explain for those that don't know why Kodak fell into demise. Kodaks genius in the beginning was that they knew that the real money was in selling the film and not the camera as the film would forever be bought. It ended up that 99.9% of Kodaks money was made from film and not camera sales and their genius was that focal point. Where they went wrong was not changing their business model to match a forever changing world. This was of course the sale of Digital Cameras when the digital age came along. They thought that they had the photography market wrapped up forever and they complicity went around with their fingers in their ears singing 'we are the biggest, we are the best'.
By the time that they realised what was happening to the drastic fall in film sales, it was too late. In the fast paced technology world we live in the market was flooded with Digital cameras that had no need for film.

So 'the other way around' for Matterport is that they are focusing on Camera Sales. Hosting and tour processing fees should be to Matterport as to what film was to Kodak. This made them the dominant leader for almost a century. This is where they should be focusing.

Wake up Matterport, you are following a proven failed business model. When another company figures out how to produce 3D tours like yours, they will sell their cameras way cheaper and target Tour Providers they know that the real money is in the hosting and tour conversions.

Another example is inkjet printers. For those manufacturers that don't follow Epson's new cartridgeless printers, they will lose huge market share to Epson. No need to spend $80 on ONE SET of cartridges (yep, that's what they wanted for my canon printer) when you can spend $300 on a new printer and ink bottles for $40. The bottles have more than 10 refills worth of cartridges.

Can you imagine Oculus A.K.A Facebook coming out with a camera that worked hand in hand with their new mobile wireless headset (that will be available one day)? They have the deepest pockets AND the social networking infrastructure that agents have become to depend of as a source of Marketing and referrals.......Now tell me, how many of us do you think would jump ship and get on board with that after you treat us with such contempt? I believe that most of us Generals would join a new Army, no doubt.....
Post 1 IP   flag post
ScanMan private msg quote post Address this user
I believe Matterport are looking at this technology in a far bigger picture. I'm sure they are planning far far into the VR, future it's just unfortunate that we are not included in that big picture. The camera sales and model fees we are paying seem to be funding the companies bigger vision for the future and for now this is a convenient market for them. I believe there is room for a competitor who can concentrate more on getting our technology and needs delivered far more effectively. So yes when that ship docks I want to be on it . In actual fact if the shipbuilders want some investment I'll happily invest in building the right ship for the job. I believe Matterport is such an amazing product with so much more potential. At the very least I'd like to see a white label pro service that's marketed separately to the real estate chumps model which seems to be a race to the bottom for independent providers.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Louisville, KY
JohnLoser private msg quote post Address this user
Let me add something that may help a bit in understanding the "Big Picture". Yesterday, I ran across some old blogs (2015 and early 2016, I think) that shared the wonderful news that Qualcomm Ventures was partnering with Matterport.

https://www.qualcommventures.com/portfolio/matterport

https://www.qualcommventures.com/happenings/blog/20160106/701/matterport-unlocking-potential-vr-and-mobile-3d

The goal seems to be VR as @ScanMan suggests.

As an independent Matterport Service Provider, I am not happy with their huge "branding" on the products I produce. Nor am I happy with the fact that I am not allowed to "touch" something they state clearly that I own (the images I produce with their camera).

However, I entered this market at the request of a real estate agent friend and so far, it's been a smooth, albeit slow, start. We are reaching out to other potential customers with some success.

I would like to see Matterport understand the camera vs. film philosophy. ADT is using it today in the home security market. If you think about it, so is Amazon with their "Prime Membership".

Matterport should look at the winning examples of how other software companies allow developers to build on their base products to make them more useful, more valuable, more desirable. Open up and allow extensions, add-ons and utilities. Make people want to use the services... they will buy the cameras.

They should stop forcing their brand name on everything that the we produce for the public to see. That includes the constant footer on the web tours and the BIG logo on the floor plans. Cinemascope, Todd AO and Technicolor did not require theaters to show their logos for the full duration of any film in a theater. Avid did not require networks to display their logo on every television show produced using an AVID editing system. RCA and AMPEX did not require logos on TV shows using their video tape technology. Matterport should follow suit.

Just my thoughts.
Post 3 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
In a not so far future any smartphone could capture like the matterport cam and maybe even without 3d data it will be possible to do what MP can do and much more.

With this current strategy I bet that MP will fail very very soon.
Post 4 IP   flag post
DSPhoto private msg quote post Address this user
@mori You mean Matterport Scenes?

https://matterport.com/matterport-scenes/
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@mori I bet that Matterport will not fail very very soon. Matterport may be bought out by another business - that sort of thing is normal. As it stands, Matterport might see their product being more desirable if they retain control of it, hence all their little rules and regulations.
Post 6 IP   flag post
PedroAvilez private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @Metroplex.
The usd70 campaign was a rookie mistake but has show how MP deals with MSP's. Probably MP was not expecting such a negative and compreensive reaction by MSP's but I bet this will not change their agenda - just remeber what happened with 3rd party developers and all the changes in the TOS that were done.
More, all this have show up how much MP understands Realtors mentality...
Let's get back to MP goals and agenda. MP or MP IP portfolio will be bought, one day, by a big player.
The opportunities that are opening up in the VR (and AR) world are vast and with a wide scope. Real Estate is "only" a field - the most obvious - of application on "3D VR Space" market.
VR&AR are disruptive technologies and will allow significant business process changes on several (and new) business. That means Value.
That said, seems to me that MSP's may take advantage of the AR/VR revolution and have a role on it using MP.
The problem with is that we are "in love" with MP technology and we would love to see MP as a partnership. It is not. It's like romance. One day it ends. We are clientes and MP is a supplier. A supplier of a product we love.
How to keep this relationship dependes not only of MSP but also of MP. Let's see what's going to happen.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101429 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?