Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
SamsungVirtual Reality

Matterport VR Showcase Beta with Gear VR265

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport announced VR Showcase Beta via this video. (14 April 2105)

In the short term, it will cost a few hundred dollars to have a Matterport 3D model converted by Matterport to be viewable on Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus. (Samsung Note 4 not included)

Fully automated, easy, fast and simple automation is expected later this year for various VR Head Mounted Displays (HMD), including Google Cardboard.

If you get one, please post about it in this thread.

Thanks,

Dan

Post 1 IP   flag post
DoyleRealtor private msg quote post Address this user
Mine is being created right now, were doing a presentation with it next week
Post 2 IP   flag post
Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
Nice. Do they have a fixed price or is it by area?

Will this conversion be automated later this year or will it always cost more?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Marcel

My best guess is that the price varies based on the size of the model and how well the space was scanned. Probably the more scans, the less manual "clean up".

No announcement about if fees, when the process is automated.

VR Showcase Beta view is the Showcase - not the mesh view. How cool is that?!

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
It's awesome. Really opens up so many possibilities for us. I'm most eager about Google Cardboard as this will be the most cost effective solution to offer clients. And you can get cardboard branded with your/clients logos.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Marcel Yes. So cool.

We just posted this guest blog post by Forum member and Vicator Founder and Chief Technology Officer Peter Thor (@pthor):

Matterport 3D 'Mesh View' Examples Converted to Virtual Reality by Vicator

This guest blog post was a month in the making and coincidentally coincided with the launch of Matterport VR Showcase Beta today (15 April 2015).

Thoughts?

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Impressive. Lots of hard work.

Mesh wouldn't be useful for my clientele in real estate marketing, even with the unity rendering. They demand the very best in graphic resolution. The showcase is already marginal but mesh is simply not acceptable.

Other industries could benefit I'm sure.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Marcel Yes. Labor of love for @pthor to play with the .obj file.

With the launch of Matterport VR Showcase Beta, the earth's rotation just shifted.

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
@DoyleRealtor

How much did they charge you? any insight to price? I emailed them this AM when Dan posted but haven't heard back.
Thanks! Alex
Post 9 IP   flag post
Its $400, and you can only do one floor at a time. It sounds like some scans work better than others. They did one floor of a model of a house for us to use at our upcoming event. I haven't gotten it yet though
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks Doyle! I like how the video says "In fact, any matterport model can be converted into VR TODAY" and we are still waiting. Interested to see how your event goes.
Post 11 IP   flag post
JamieSher private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys,

Seems as though this is all getting really exciting on the VR front. I've had one forward thinking realtor in my city of little Perth thinking of a headset in their offices - having people just come in with wine cheese and the VR experience. Imagine how cool a realty office could be haha. But see this little link attached... I sent a mate of mine the .obj file and he imported it into Unity then was simply able to walk through the space with his Occulus. To me there are a few pro's and cons to the mesh model being used but I don't think it's totally out of the question to explore it with VR (if MPort are charging like a wounded bull to convert showcase scans)...

Cons:
- Yes, the mesh model is not up to scratch in refinement
- Takes time to patch up like I do with the films

Pros:
- It is free to get it into Unity and make the conversion into a usable VR headset experience so one won't have to rely on MP conversions
- You can place new furniture, lighting and moving objects etc. within the space if you want to take it into design and architecture (see the finny things placed in the space on the Vimeo link
- Still a great experience of the space, to me I think explaining to people about the fragmenty-ness would help a little, and that the mesh VR experience is more about the overall feel... or maybe I'm being to positive about it!

Anyway, thought I'd share some thoughts on this. Great thread, but personally, I'm still getting my head around it. If the mesh models look good in VR after patching up like I do for the films this could be a good option, especially when you want to add your own lighting, furniture and anything else you can think of....

J.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Tim private msg quote post Address this user
Like I have said all along, it's always been about the VR for us...fun times ahead!
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Tim Yup!

Amazon delivers our Samsung Gear VR headset and (Matterport recommended version) Samsung Galaxy Note 4 N910a on Friday (17 April 2015).

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
InterestQuote:
Originally Posted by JamieSher
Hey guys,

If the mesh models look good in VR after patching up like I do for the films this could be a good option, especially when you want to add your own lighting, furniture and anything else you can think of....

J.

@JamieSher That's cool! Matterport VR Showcase Beta may not replace 'mesh view' for other uses, as you described. It will be interesting to see if 3D Studio includes all the features you would like - and in Showcase view.

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
About VR, any Matterport API Wish List ideas?

Perhaps if Matterport Capture set due North in the first scan, then in VR you could know which way is North.

Dan
Post 16 IP   flag post
andreabortolot private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome!
Post 17 IP   flag post

Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DoyleRealtor thanks for sharing. Exciting. 😎
Post 19 IP   flag post
andreabortolot private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod / @DoyleRealtor

To whom or where we should request for model conversion?
Thanks
Post 20 IP   flag post
vr@matterport.com
Post 21 IP   flag post
Finally heard back.
Cost: $500
Maximum: 50 Scans (!!This is a tiny model!!)
Turnaround time: ~1 Week
Time till this is automated: about 6 months (don't quote me)
Cost When automated: Just guessing in the low 10s of USD (dont quote me)
Post 22 IP   flag post
Remember 50 scans refers to "Activated" scan locations rather than total number of scans to build the entire model. It's remarkably easy to "deactivate" from as many as 100 scans on a relatively large house to meet the current requirements of the Gear VR beta app. From our experience fewer locations are required to be active for a dedicated VR experience anyway. Simply duplicate a model, play around with deactivating until you reach the magic number of 50 and you should be ok. That way you can have it both ways...
Post 23 IP   flag post
I should have the completed model today, it has to be side loaded onto the Gear VR so they need your unique number. They were also only able to do the one floor for us, I'll post once I receive it and let you know all know how it looks.

I purchased a chromecast so we can project the screen onto a larger TV so everyone else can see what that person is seeing
Post 24 IP   flag post
pthor private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the mention @DanSmigrod.

We at Vicator can convert your models from the .OBJ file to Mesh view on Oculus DK2, Samsung GearVR or Google Cardboard. We have three different packages, depending on the complexity of the scan and your chosen platform.

Please PM me or head over to vicator.com to know more if you are interested and want to know more about what we are up to.

/Peter
Post 25 IP   flag post
@pthor is it mesh view or photo spheres linked together. I've done demonstrations of both and just don't feel mesh view is ready yet. The GearVR, google cardboard, and mobile versions are most user friendly thus far.
Post 26 IP   flag post
pthor private msg quote post Address this user
@DoyleRealtor it is the mesh view, thanks for taking notice. Obviously and naturally this view lacks in detail due to visual occlusion, light and glass conditions and the nature of the captured volumes.

I agree that the useability is high on mobile devices due to limited types of devices compared to Oculus builds. Yet their computation power are limited and the end result depend on the property.

We will see many more application areas of these technologies in the future. Currently there is quite a straight relationship between the level of detail of the model, the required computational power, the manual labour of preparing it for the chosen platform and thus the cost of the caoture equipment and the work itself.

Personally I believe the views complete eachother rather than exclude on or the other. You will see Matterport explorations on immersive treadmills in the near future.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@DoyleRealtor @pthor we have done demos with both, and without a doubt the Gear VR with Showcase Beta demo was the real hit, it is extremely easy to use, to transport, cost effective and it just looks the bomb! The complexity of the oculus put people off, and mesh view raises concerns. It was certainly beneficial to use the Oculus to fill the gap and show the potential, but it simplyLike @DoyleRealtor we have been told our demo will be ready in the next 24hrs and we can't wait to show it off.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Just loading our demo on now...exciting!
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'm anxiously awaiting my finished product, I did have the opportunity to beta test a similar product that was a series of photo spheres linked together on Google Cardboard that a local company put together.

It was comparable to the GearVR experience
Post 30 IP   flag post
101636 68 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?