Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Inside Camera

Looking inside the Matterport Camera.1817

360Verbeelding private msg quote post Address this user
Hi to you all. As i promised, the pictures from inside our camera. First of all its a well build camera, Everything is securly mounted to a strong aluminium frame. The Tree sensor arrays are mounted to A diecast aluminium frame, hold together with 2 steel pins. There is a PCB, the heart of the camera. Matterport development. No hard disk or SD drive everyting is embedded. Small SDcard slot on PCB. Sturdy connectors. Small stepper-motor rotating a strong axle.
2 LI 5300 14volts batteries.

Nothing wrong with the design and construction. Its simple but well build. It can take some what of abuse. Small wifi antenna at the top middle of the camera.

I opend the camera at my own risk and responsibility so you don't have to do this. We are repairing and modifying cameras for the last 15 years so i think we know what we are doing.

Please do not use these pictures for your own publications.

Happy scanning,
Grtz Rene.

Post 1 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@360Verbeelding, did the hamster escape?????????? Plenty of space for him.

Thanks for posting this, very interesting.

Ron
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hi, sorry no hamster. You can house a whole family in there.

Grtz Rene.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Andrew private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you @360Verbeelding!

It's very useful info.

Andrew
Post 4 IP   flag post
KPunsvik private msg quote post Address this user
Nice!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
DO you plan on kidding it at all? If so please explain the plans. I come from a kidding background and interested in hearing your plans.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
See related thread by @360Verbeelding ...

Opening our Matterport Camera

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
mwaychoff private msg quote post Address this user
What I see:
Custom well manufactured case.
Custom single circuit board.
Commodity parts for everything else(most likely including sensors).

My opinion:
When/if MP does large production run current MSRP would represent significant markup of parts & labor.
Therefore MSP's have to trust that MP is being fair about remuneration for their extensive past R&D.
Post 8 IP   flag post
RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
Such an odd looking little machine. One day Matterport will come out with a new camera instantly making all of our $4500 cameras obsolete and instantly angering all of their current supporters. I'm sure they'll make tremendous paper weights and door stoppers for us all!

Then and only then, when it's worth zero, I think I'll crack it open and take a look.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@360Verbeelding, if you still have it open and apart could you take a few close up photos of the servo drive gear setup. Everything else looks strait forwarded, but the gear drive (the hamster )is what seems to be the most vulnerable and interest to me. I just want to know how well that is built.

Thank you
Ron
Post 10 IP   flag post
@ron0987, Hi, it s closed again. Bu you can see this at the pic with the two batteries. Its a 8mm axle, supported by 2 sealed bearings in a aluminum die-cast housing. Nothing fancy but very sturdy. The motor that turns the cam is a 14v-28v stepper motor with a small spindel that rotates the axle. The control for the motor is part of the PCB.

@renderingspace, Hi, There is no need for you to open it no. This is all there is an all to see. I think that the competition will be the first to come with smaller cameras and more options, one of them will be, being in control of your own creations.

@htimsabbub23, Hi, i am not sure what you mean by "kidding" it. I think you mean make modifications. There is nothing to modificate i think. We can't change the processing of the files or hack the software. No jailbreaking this puppy. Mechanically its well build. You could build a GoPro in it but that easier to put it on top. Changing the batteries for more power makes no sence. I am going to leave it just the way it is. Its good to know that if something will brake i can easely change it myself. If MP is willing to send me the parts. We are based in the Netherlands so i am not going to ship it back to change a batterie. And if other MP owners in Europe have a problem we can fix this for them.

Happy scanning,
Grtz Rene
Post 11 IP   flag post
@360Verbeelding, thank you for the feedback.

Ron
Post 12 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
looks like that we could potentially be able to replace the capture devices with upgraded ones if they develop them
Post 13 IP   flag post
@smcclell, hi, if MP is going to update the cam they probebly come with a new model. Thats what i think. The hardware is not going to change mutch. Software and processing must change in time i hope.

Happy scanning,
Grtz Rene.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@360Verbeelding moving back to the top for discussion. Dsn
Post 15 IP   flag post
Hi Dan, Thanks, but why😃

Grtz Rene
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@360Verbeelding

Because of this discussion...

https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/2282/new-matterport-camera-to-be-announced/

Can you post there about the potential swap-out of PrimeSense sensors?

Thanks,

Dan
Post 17 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
That would be great. Also which sensors are build in? I assume the the captured 3d grid has a much higher quality than the obj file available to download.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Opening a Matterport Camera is revisited in the WGAN Forum in this discussion:

✓ How do you Open up the Matterport Camera?

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
101429 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?