Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CUPIXFloor PlansReal EstateTips

How do you create floor plans?7965

CFster private msg quote post Address this user
I know this has been beat to death, but how are people who are NOT Matterport users creating reasonably accurate 2D floor plans, for their real estate clients?

And, for those of you using Matterport or CUPIX, what if your client wants a floor plan, but not a tour? How do you charge?

And, as no floor plan is 100% accurate, just how inaccurate of a plan do your realtors accept? Are they just looking for a general layout, or do they want wall measurements?

I tried the MagicPlan app, but their measurements using the device’s camera weren’t even remotely accurate.
Post 1 IP   flag post
MP2FP
Floor Plans
Bangkok THA
mp2fp private msg quote post Address this user
Dear @CFster

1. Creating accurate Floorplans

1.1 One common method if you are not using a full-featured scanner like Matterport is to use a handheld linear Laser Disto Meter (e.g. from Bosch or Leica that you can buy relatively cheap online or in any tool store) and either do annotations on a simplified sketch by paper or:

1.2 Use one of the many apps available e.g. with Bluetooth connection to the LDM to insert the accurate measurements to the sketch or tablet or smartphone drawn blueprint. Remember as well that Magicplan even it can use the AR visual measure method you can as well connect an LDM via Bluetooth as an alternative method to get better accuracy when needed.

1.3. To produce the final floorplan there are many programs available. If you want to do it yourself, and not want to fulfill it in one of the many apps for phone or tablets (that can in some way be limited and clumsy), you can use either one free software like www.sweethome3d.com or some more advanced and efficient online payment based solutions like www.roomsketcher.com or www.floorplanner.com to draw your floorplans in 2D and 3D with any style and select-able types of furniture.

1.4. Or simply upload your sketch and order any floorplan from www.mp2fp.com portal. It is one of the cheapest and fastest services for floorplan production available either you are using Matterport or any other method to make your input. MP2FP can deliver both fixed template based and bespoke custom based designs within 24h or faster by requirement if needed. As WEGAN member you will get a 10% discount on our already competitive prices. MP2FP can as well deliver on any format or platform mentioned above or wished.

2. Some about accuracy
For normal floorplans for sale promotions, many realtors use floorplans without dimension annotations on it. It is then common to add a disclaimer text that tells the floorplans can be inaccurate. Accuracy depends on the input and precision of production. If you want the highest precision when using Matterport then it is best to order the Matterpack and use the XYZ file. Then it is easier to choose and control the most possible accurate measures. Anyhow what method and demands set - a good practice is to always at least take 1 extra horizontal and accurate control measure by an LDM and add as input to the floorplan producer. Then this can be used to calibrate the floorplan to be more accurate.

3. We are happy to help you to success
If you want more tips and details about accuracy or have special needs about your floorplan production www.mp2fp.com and its organization have 12 years experience and we produce 150 floorplans daily from all types of input and all styles to all continents so just contact us and we are very happy to help you out.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@mp2fp

Thank you for the detailed reply. MP isn’t really an option so I’m going to be drawing sketches. Do you know of any sources with tips on how to do so efficiently and accurately? I have a laser measure.

Thanks.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Autocad on a surface pro with a laser works well. Takes some learning though
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Jamie

I’m sure. However, if I wanted to spend that kind of money for AutoCad (isn’t it like $1500/yr?) plus the cost of the Surface, I might as well buy a MP.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
No not that much
There are other options. If you want to draw it out on paper you can send it to Petra at blue sketch and she can translate it for you. She does a fantastic job (and I own a company that does a lot of floor plans)
Post 6 IP   flag post
MP2FP
Floor Plans
Bangkok THA
mp2fp private msg quote post Address this user
Dear @CFster

There are many ways to measure and sketch the input with an LDM and you can find many examples of how to do it in detail with simple or advanced sketch tools on Youtube. The best way is to start with a limited test with the tools that fit your needs the best. Here are 1 small but typical example with the use of Orthograph app with Bluetooth connection to an LDM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18hQ2gEFOAc

The result from this or several other similar apps can normally be imported into a specialized floorplan drawing tool available for you without the need to buy or install any software as mentioned above in 1.2 or 1.3, or you can send your Sketch or LDM file from these apps or from a plain paper note to www.mp2fp.com and we will produce it for you in 2D or 3D at your choice of style quick and affordable as mentioned in 1.4
Post 7 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@CFster Leica has a laser measuring tool that has blue tooth that is about $150 and using that laser mesuring tool and the free app will create a basic accurate 2d layout, it is time or some what labor intensive but once you get the hang of it goes extremely quick. But you then need to export into some type of drawing software to create a final product. Or send it off to any of the service providers listed by Dan. I have worked with Blue Sketch and the work is great. But I see several listed by Dan. Hope that helps.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@mp2fp
@ron0987

Thanks. I own a laser measure and understand how to measure a room, but for some reason I have trouble fitting those rooms together, especially when they have lots of angles. Inevitably nothing lines up on the exterior walls.

I guess more practice is needed.

I’m a fan of drawing on the iPad, but it seems every app I try has some kind of handicap. For example, MagicPlan doesn’t allow for curved walls. Or, for a room that isn’t attached to anything, that’s in the middle of an open space.
Post 9 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@CFster I have used the Leica app on my iPad pro, what I like about the blue tooth hook up is it imports the measurements right into the app and you again watch the floor plan unfold. This is a little faster than manually keying them in. Good luck. For info angled walls do take a little more practice and time.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
PetraSoderling private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for kudos @ron0987 and @Jamie

MP2FP provided a great answer, nothing to add to that. Getting floor plans created for houses that have no blueprints available from when they were constructed can be tricky. As you can see from the many answers here, there are many options available. At Blue-Sketch we focus on high quality deliverables and great customer service from New Orleans with <3
Post 11 IP   flag post
101436 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?