Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 380 Unique Visitors
9,059 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,930 Page Views | 18,626 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Matterport: Exciting (and Frustrating)2750

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I have mixed emotions about the Matterport potential features list (in the Matterport 2016 4th Quarter Product Development Priorities Survey):

Excited!

There are 37 new, exciting, features that Matterport can implement, given the time and resources. These include:

✓ Having a higher resolution Matterport camera (likely firmware)
✓ Less time for each individual 3D scans
✓ Faster Cloud processing time for your Spaces

Frustrated!

At least 9 of 37 features that could be implemented by 3rd Party Solutions Providers via developer tools (APIs, SDKs, CDNs) and changes to the Terms of Services.

For example, Matterport shutdown these third-party solutions this month (September 2016):

✓ Export your 3D Space to Google Street View
✓ Ability to share a full 3D Space on social networks
✓ Ability to share only a single pano or 360° View on social networks
✓ Display room labels or measurements created in Workshop to consumers in 3D Showcase

The following features are likely super-easy for third-party developers. Why is Matterport spending two-seconds thinking about implementing these features internally?

✓ Additional data analytics on how Matterport 3D Spaces are performing on yours or your clients’ websites
✓ Make Matterport Spaces publicly searchable (indexed by Google, Bing, etc.)
✓ Convert a Guided Tour to a video
✓ A 3rd party add-on service (for a fee) to create Highlight Reels/Guided Tours
✓ A 3rd party add-on service (for a fee) to create Mattertag Posts

Alarmed!

There are at least three features that were announced more than a year ago, that have not been implemented. Announcing features to help sell Cameras – but not implementing needs to stop immediately. It does not build trust with the community.

These 'Big Foot Like' features include:

✓ Embed photos directly into Mattertag™ Posts (instead of just text or URLs)
✓ Embed videos directly into Mattertag™ Posts (instead of just text or URLs)
✓ Embed audio directly into Mattertag™ Posts (instead of just text or URLs)

Super-Disappointed!

It is super-disappointing that a backup/restore solution is even on a potential features implementation list. This “wish list” item was reported to Matterport more than two years ago.

✓ Restore a deleted job back to your iPad?

Equally astonishing is this list of features that should already have been implemented: not listed for discussion about where they fit in terms of priorities.

✓ Facilitate 3D Space syndication to major Internet Listing Services (ILS) like Realtor.com, Trulia, Zillow, Homes.com, etc.
✓ Improve photo resolution of downloaded snapshot
✓ Add a company logo to 3D Showcase (either yours or a client's)
✓ Enhancements to the newly released 360° Views (ability to scan in outdoor locations)
✓ Enhancements to Guided Tour in Slideshow mode (where it fades to black between each stop)
✓ Enhancements to Guided Tour in Walkthrough Mode (where it moves through the actual space between each stop)
✓ Improved user experience (UX) in 3D Showcase that makes Matterport 3D Spaces more compelling to your customers
✓ Better help text and tooltips in 3D Showcase for your users
✓ Better navigation layout in 3D Showcase
✓ Enhancements to the User Experience (UX) in the 3D Showcase for iOS app
✓ Matterport Space Management Options
✓ Rapidly apply setting preferences
✓ Ability to zoom in when viewing a Space in 3D Showcase
✓ Include Smartphone Images in Highlights Reel
✓ Matterport Training Made Easy

Shocked!

There are at least 3 features that are likely being driven by Matterport business units that have (virtually) nothing to do with Matterport Pros and Real Estate Agents:

✓ Capture 3D objects: 3D-enabled phone/tablet
✓ Capture rooms in 3D using a 3D-enabled phone
✓ Having the ability to print 8.5x11 snapshots

With so many high priorities, I wonder which business unit is pushing:

✓ Use an iPhone instead of an iPad to control
✓ Use an Android-based app to view/download

Why

I could imagine that if you asked any Matterport employee why all of these items have not already been completed, you would hear “we have limited resources” ...

I could imagine that this is because:

✓ Matterport has too many business units - too soon - all competing in a tug-of-war for the same tech resources. If you look at this list of 37 potential features through the lens of each business unit the priorities are likely to be (way) different.
✓ Matterport spends money on solutions that it could easily outsource.

What else?

What's your big picture view of the list of 37 Matterport features being discussed for prioritization?

Feeling #excited #frustrated #alarmed #super-disappointed #shocked

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
cdpmedia private msg quote post Address this user
Dan -
I never get tired of saying thank you and reminding you and your forum that you are a spectacularly valuable asset for Matterport. Your ability to balance outrage with composure makes you CEO material. And without a doubt to me and I assume most here, you should be in an Executive leadership position at Matterport. Let me be the first to nominate...
DAN FOR PRESIDENT!!
I can not conceive how your value can have escaped Matt and Dave. Its absurd.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I think Dan's value is being an independent marketer, free from Matterport's jurisdiction.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

I have re-organized the 37 potential new, exciting features that Matterport can implement in the following order:

Third-Party Solutions via APIs, SDKs, CDNs

Matterport shutdown these third-party solutions this month (September 2016). They should re-enable them to offer immediate value to the Matterport Community:

✓ Export your 3D Space to Google Street View
✓ Ability to share a full 3D Space on social networks
✓ Ability to share only a single pano or 360° View on social networks

The following solutions are doable immediately, if Matterport reversed its decision to cripple its Content Delivery Network:

✓ Display room labels or measurements created in Workshop to consumers in 3D Showcase
✓ Additional data analytics on how Matterport 3D Spaces are performing on yours or your clients’ websites
✓ Make Matterport Spaces publicly searchable (indexed by Google, Bing, etc.)
✓ Convert a Guided Tour to a video
✓ A 3rd party add-on service (for a fee) to create Highlight Reels/Guided Tours
✓ A 3rd party add-on service (for a fee) to create Mattertag Posts

High Value to Help Pros Make Money – Easy to Implement

✓ Less time for each individual 3D scans
✓ Faster Cloud processing time for your Spaces
✓ Having a higher resolution Matterport camera (likely firmware)
✓ Embed photos directly into Mattertag™ Posts (instead of just text or URLs)
✓ Embed videos directly into Mattertag™ Posts (instead of just text or URLs)
✓ Embed audio directly into Mattertag™ Posts (instead of just text or URLs)
✓ Facilitate 3D Space syndication to major Internet Listing Services (ILS) like Realtor.com, Trulia, Zillow, Homes.com, etc.
✓ Improve photo resolution of downloaded snapshot
✓ Add a company logo to 3D Showcase (either yours or a client's)
✓ Enhancements to the newly released 360° Views (ability to scan in outdoor locations)

High Value to Help Pros Make Money – Harder to Implement

✓ Restore a deleted job back to your iPad?

High Value to Help Pros Operate – Easy to Implement

✓ Rapidly apply setting preferences

Matterport Business Units Competing For Tech Resources

✓ Capture 3D objects: 3D-enabled phone/tablet
✓ Capture rooms in 3D using a 3D-enabled phone
✓ Having the ability to print 8.5 x 11 snapshots

Low Value (While we would like; does not make Pros Money)

✓ Enhancements to Guided Tour in Slideshow mode (where it fades to black between each stop)
✓ Enhancements to Guided Tour in Walkthrough Mode (where it moves through the actual space between each stop)
✓ Improved user experience (UX) in 3D Showcase that makes Matterport 3D Spaces more compelling to your customers
✓ Better help text and tooltips in 3D Showcase for your users
✓ Better navigation layout in 3D Showcase
✓ Enhancements to the User Experience (UX) in the 3D Showcase for iOS app
✓ Matterport Space Management Options
✓ Ability to zoom in when viewing a Space in 3D Showcase
✓ Include Smartphone Images in Highlights Reel
✓ Matterport Training Made Easy
✓ Use an iPhone instead of an iPad to control
✓ Use an Android-based app to view/download

To be clear:

✓ we want 3rd Party Developers to have immediate use (again) of the Matterport APIs/CDNs
✓ we (all) want everything on the list
✓ we are frustrated that Matterport adds business units that are competing with a list of features that should have been done long ago

What else?

How to you feel about how I have re-organized Matterport's list of 37 features in their 4th quarter product marketing survey?

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
malfie private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan,

I was also thinking of something which was already mentioned on the forum earlier: being able to scan 1 model with multiple Matterports at the same time, especially for the bigger properties (in USA, everything is bigger right? ;-) )

As being from Belgium, I would also like to see some more movement into Europe. When I want to buy a Matterport now, it will cost me a 1000$ extra to import it. Service-wise, we could also do with a European service center.

Just some toughts (since Matterport is reading EVERYTHING here ;-) )
Post 5 IP   flag post
PedroAvilez private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan
I should thank you for all the efforts and work you have done in order to create a big and usefull comunity of MP service providers.
For sure MP is a great solution for realtors and other stakeholders related. But my thoughts are that MP can be also a very usefull asset on other business areas.
The MUG forum is very focus on real estate and it is easy to understand why. In order to create more value to MP service providers maybe (MAYBE) would be usefull to start exchanging views and experiences on MP applied on other businesses and locations.
More, This forum can be a wonderfull platform to a future network of MP (and similar solutions) service providers.
Best regards
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@malfie I can see that being a nightmare considering that all scenes need to connect and it would be time consuming to play musical chairs solo with 2 cameras -- or avoiding each other with 2 photographers. Then the iPad would reach many weird scenarios depending on which scan was being received at which time. It's a cool idea, but a more real world scenario would be that you have a multi-story building and have two photographers with two cameras on separate floors making two separate tours and linking them together with Mattertags.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@PedroAvilez

Thank you for your kind note.

Yes. While we (all) are focused on real estate, there are 101 other uses for Matterport.

Please do post on other uses ...

In Atlanta, for example, we shot this one for a commercial real estate company selling the apartment complex owned and operated by a property management company.

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
malfie private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 I understand what you're saying. Wouldn't it be possible to input a parameter at the start of each scan to identify which matterport you are scanning with? Then with all their stitching algorithms, they should be able to stitch it all together, no?
About the musical chairs, that's indeed something to consider. Going onsite with 2 people will off course increase the cost of scanning.

About the linking of 2 tours, wouldn't it be nice that they offer some kind of functionality (outside of the mattertags) where you can identify a transition to another tour (but a linked one). This way, you can have 1 big model, with seperate tours in it (to keep the online processing within limits). Just thinking out loud here... :-)
Post 9 IP   flag post
101787 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?