Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
OutdoorsRicoh Theta Z1Scanning

Theta Z1 Outdoor Scanning & Detached Guest Houses13002

kaplan private msg quote post Address this user
Wondering if it's possible to scan a detached guest house via an exterior path on a single model with the Theta Z1? I've seen detached guest houses either scanned as a separate model OR just as 360 shots with mattertags...but not both in a seamless single model.

Also - I've seen a few examples of backyards scanned seamlessly with interiors with the Z1...but is this reliable and/or time consuming?
Post 1 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
@kaplan,
It is definitely possible, but it is more time consuming than scanning intrerior spaces due to having to scan closer together and more frequent misalignment. You will also want to be more attentive to the correct placement of each new scan. Scanning spaces with hard surfaces like pool decks, patios and fences is easier than spaces with just grass or gardens.
Here is a link to a model I did yesterday. Still needs to be edited, but it still works as an example.

For time considerations, total time o. Site was 1.5 hours to stage, photograph, scan and answer homeowner questions.
Post 2 IP   flag post
homefinders3d private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ that was scanned with the MP Pro/Pro2? That's an excellent example of outside scans.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@homefinders3d,
Thank you! This was scanned with a Theta Z1, inside and out.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Harrycayman private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Jon

looks like the sun was shining. This was done in daytime and not dusk? I never have anyluck with outside scans maybe 20 % work. What is your secret
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycayman
Hi Jon

looks like the sun was shining. This was done in daytime and not dusk? I never have anyluck with outside scans maybe 20 % work. What is your secret

I did this scan yesterday morning and started around 9:15. It was not particularly bright outside and that definitely helps. I also started the scan outside while the sun was not too intense. Lastly, because this was captured with the Theta, the IR light from the sun was not an issue as it normally is with the regular Matterport cameras.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Hi

do you still have a matterport? i was always wondering if its worth investing in Z 1 strictly for outside bars and restaurants.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I do still have a Matterport, but I primarily use the Z1. I only use my Matterport camera when it is specifically requested, or if the property has significant area on a single floor. Since the Z1 uses photogrammetry to create the model, the alignment of the model is not as accurate and those inaccuracies add up and become more apparent on larger models. However, I am comfortable using the Z1 for single floor up to 5000sqft. If I was giving advice, I would strongly recommend that you purchase a Z1. This will allow you to shoot Zillow tours and significantly speed up your scanning times for Matterport tours. That being said, the image quality is not as good as compared to a Pro2, but I don't really think that really affects the walkthrough experience. This becomes significant if you plan on using the snapshots from the camera do deliver to clients. I always use a separate camera for traditional photos as I do not like the quality or composition of the photos taken from a Matterport tour.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Hi jon

thank you for that advice. I will keep an eye out for Z1 they seem to be hard to come by. I know Dan said he was ordering some

harry
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Premium
Lahaina, Hawaii
Skeeter private msg quote post Address this user
Can you use both Pro-2 and Z1 on the same job?
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Harrycayman
Hi jon

thank you for that advice. I will keep an eye out for Z1 they seem to be hard to come by. I know Dan said he was ordering some

harry

WGAN Basic, Standard & Premium Members: 11 Ricoh Theta Z1 Cameras Available

(As of 12:30 pm EDT today, Tuesday, 8 September 2020)

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter
Can you use both Pro-2 and Z1 on the same job?

Hi @Skeeter,

Yes you can use both devices on the same model. That being said, I have had challenges in the past with alignment when switching between devices, but it is possible. Also, if you need to have a floor plan created using the Matterport platform, you can only use a Matterport camera for the model. If you add even one scan from a 360 camera, you will not be able to order a floor plan.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN
Premium
Lahaina, Hawaii
Aloha @LonJ,
Mahalo! I just tried to use Z1 with pro2 scanned model. It work after I did Pro 2 and added Z1 scans but it doesn't work vice versa. I like the Por2 scans better. I'm still learning how to use Z1 with Matterport. I don't think I can make camera adjustments when using it with Matterport. Always fun learning new camera!
So many Photographer are entering my 3-D business I'm buying a Sony Alpha a7R III to take their business.

Mahalo!
Skeeter
Post 13 IP   flag post
GWatsonImages private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter
Aloha @LonJ,
Mahalo! I just tried to use Z1 with pro2 scanned model. It work after I did Pro 2 and added Z1 scans but it doesn't work vice versa. I like the Por2 scans better. I'm still learning how to use Z1 with Matterport. I don't think I can make camera adjustments when using it with Matterport. Always fun learning new camera!
So many Photographer are entering my 3-D business I'm buying a Sony Alpha a7R III to take their business.

Mahalo!
Skeeter

I figured out a hack one day when playing around and doing some test shots that allows you can adjust the camera settings on the Z1 when shooting in the Matterport Capture app. On my iPad Pro, I open the Theta app at the same time. In there you can go in and change the camera settings and take a pic then switch over to Matterport capture and take a pic and the settings stay the same. I've switched back and changed them then repeated the process and it works. I don't know if others have stumbled upon this, but I was pretty excited when I "discovered" it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN
Premium
Lahaina, Hawaii
Big Mahalo @LonJ! I'll try it out this morning.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Tjawi private msg quote post Address this user
Thankyou @GWatsonImages.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Ghagendorf private msg quote post Address this user
JonJ,
Do you charge your customer less when you use the Z1 vs Matterport camera? If so, about what % less, you don't have to give me your $ amount, just a ball park %.

Thanks,

Gordon
Post 17 IP   flag post
I don’t have a Matterport camera. No way I’m buying one of those until they get a better subscription model. That’s to much money to invest and be stuck using just their software/product for a subscription model that doesn’t really fit my businesses needs as it grows. That said, I love the Z1 but battery life is frustrating on it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Oh sorry, I just noticed that question wasn’t for me. I’m dumb. Carry on. 😂
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Ghagendorf

I elevated your question to his own discussion for all WGAN Forum Members:

Do you charge less for shooting Matterport with a Ricoh Theta Z1 than Pro2?

Dan
Post 20 IP   flag post
For me, I do not charge different prices for Matterport tours depending on the equipment used. I believe clients are paying for the final product and the perceived value of that final product regardless of what tools/techniques were used to create that product.

Case in point. For the 2 photos below, one was taken with a cell phone and the other with a "professional" camera. Can you tell which is which? That fact of the matter is that most agents will not be able to tell the difference.

At the end of the day, the agent does not care if you used a Pro 2, Theta Z1 or iPhone to capture the tour (all other things being equal). The only thing that they care about is whether or not the final product meets their desired level of quality,
Post 21 IP   flag post
acmestudios private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJ
@kaplan,
It is definitely possible, but it is more time consuming than scanning intrerior spaces due to having to scan closer together and more frequent misalignment. You will also want to be more attentive to the correct placement of each new scan.

Looks great! I've only captured 360 Photos on the exterior - I'll be trying this today!
Post 22 IP   flag post
101641 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?