Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AccessoriesGearGear of the WeekLevelerTips

Matterport Gear Tip: Neewer Tripod Leveling Base with Offset Bubble Level16880

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Gear of the Week
---
Video: WGAN-TV Home3D.us Gear Accessories-WGAN-TV www.Home3D.us Gear Accessories-#2959-Neewer Tripod Leveling Base with Offset Bubble Level www.WGAN.INFO/4 $50

Matterport Gear Tip: Neewer Tripod Leveling Base with Offset Bubble Level

Hi All,

Easily and quickly level the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera (without wearing out the tripod legs).

Above is WGAN-TV Story Story #2959-Neewer Tripod Leveling Base with Offset Bubble Level ($50)

Got an easier and faster way to level the Matterport Pro2 3D camera? Please post below.

Best,

Dan

Transcript (Video above)

Number 4, I actually got my numbering a little bit odd, but let's call it Number 4. Neewer Leveling Base, $50. www.WGAN.INFO/4. What is this? How do you use it? Why are you using it?

[00:30:55]
Kevin Dole: This is what we use.

[00:31:00]
Kevin Dole: I know that in the Matterport system, their algorithms will say that if your camera is a little bit Cattywampus, when you do a scan, it will correct it within reason.

[00:31:11]
Dan Smigrod: I'm sorry, what was that technical term you said?

[00:31:14]
Kevin Dole: Cattywampus. Eric here is laughing too.

[00:31:18]
Dan Smigrod: Cattywampus

[00:31:20]
Kevin Dole: My mother used the word Cattywampus. It means out of angle.

[00:31:25]
Dan Smigrod: Cattywampus.

[00:31:26]
Kevin Dole: Cattywampus. Yeah. We have two catties here.

[00:31:30]
Dan Smigrod: Well, you know we have our show professionally transcribed. I have no idea what direction I should say for the transcriber. How do you spell Cattywampus?

[00:31:42]
Kevin Dole: My mother's passed away so you can't ask. Anyway, this goes onto a tripod. I want to show this close-up though. All it does is it's got 3/8 inch at the bottom. This has got a 1/4 inch insert. At the top, it's got a 1/4 inch. When you turn this, this all slides around.

[00:32:11]
Kevin Dole: Your tripod can be as much as about ten degrees off angle and just with one quick adjustment, a single quick adjustment, not three: you can level the camera up. By having this on there it speeds up the Matterport camera's leveling.

Now, it takes two pieces because this thing just has a 1/4 inch screw in the bottom. You also need this part, which is the next thing on the list, which is simply something that's got your choice of a 3/8 inch or 1/4 inch.

[00:32:41]
Dan Smigrod: Let me introduce this piece.

---

WGAN-TV eBook | MSP Home3D.us | Top 10 Gear Accessories for Matterport Pros | Guests: Home3D.us Virtual Services Consultant and Creator Kevin Dole and Home3D.us Photographer Eric Dole | Episode: 145 | Thursday, 12 May 2022 | www.home3d.us

WGAN-TV eBook | MSP Home3D.us | Top 10 Gear Accessories for Matterport Pros [31 Gear/Accessories]

WGAN-TV | IMSP Home3D.us | Top 10 Gear Accessories for Matterport Pros | Guests: Home3D.us Virtual Services Consultant and Creator Kevin Dole and Home3D.us Photographer Eric Dole | Episode: 145 | Thursday, 12 May 2022 | www.home3d.us

Above is the entire show.

---
Here are all the Tiny URLs (WGAN Affiliate Links)
---

1 WGAN.INFO/1 Manfrotto MT190XPRO4 Aluminum 4-Section Tripod
2 WGAN.INFO/2 Neewer Photography Tripod Dolly, Heavy Duty with Larger 3-inch Rubber Wheels and Carry Bag
3 WGAN.INFO/3 Glide Gear EBR150 15" Extender Riser
4 WGAN.INFO/4 Neewer Tripod Leveling Base with Offset Bubble Level
5 WGAN.INFO/5 Haoge 64mm Screw Knob Clamp Adapter Mount for Quick Release QR Plate
6 WGAN.INFO/6 Camco 25573 Bullseye Level
7 WGAN.INFO/7 Kodiak Kuadrant Rechargeable Tactical Lantern with 360 Degree Range
8 WGAN.INFO/8 ZenRich iPad 5th/6th Generation Case, iPad 9.7 Case with Rotatable Kickstand/Shoulder Strap
9 WGAN.INFO/9 Wireless Portable Charger 30,800mAh 15W Wireless Charging 25W PD QC4.0 Fast Charging
10 WGAN.INFO/10 Ricoh Theta X 360 Camera + GoPro Accessory Bundle
11 WGAN.INFO/11 Neewer 20 inches/50 Centimeters Portable Compact Desktop Macro Mini Tripod
12 WGAN.INFO/12 SofiHome Premium Heavy Duty Door Stop Rubber Wedge with Decorative Holder (6-pack)
13 WGAN.INFO/13 Insta360 Selfie Stick (1st Generation)
14 WGAN.INFO/14 Insta360 3m 9.8ft Extended Edition Selfie Stick (2nd Generation)
15 WGAN.INFO/15 Insta360 ONE X2 360 Camera with Touchscreen - 5.7K30 360 Video
16 WGAN.INFO/16 Hard Case for Matterport Pro2 3D Camera + iPad and Accessories
17 WGAN.INFO/17 Wedge-It - The Ultimate Door Stop
18 WGAN.INFO/18 Blue Shoe Guys Professional Grade Disposable Boot & Shoe Covers Booties | 100 Pack
19 WGAN.INFO/19 Larger Binder Clips - Box of 24
20 WGAN.INFO/20 Stanley Torpedo level
21 WGAN.INFO/21 Matterport Axis Rotator (Training Wheels for Matterport)
22 WGAN.INFO/22 GemTune DY-60i Leveler
23 WGAN.INFO/23 Gorilla Tough & Clear Double Sided XL Mounting Tape, 1" x 150", Clear
24 WGAN.INFO/24 New Trent iPad 9th Generation Case, iPad 8th Generation Case, iPad 7th Generation Case
25 WGAN.INFO/25 High Density Foam Insulation Tape Adhesive Rubber Strip, Seal, Door Insulation Foam Tape
26 WGAN.INFO/26 Right Angle Cable: USB3 to USB3
27 WGAN.INFO/27 Right Angle Cable: USD3 to Lightening
28 WGAN.INFO/28 Manfrotto MB MBAG75PN Tripod Bag Padded 75cm (Black)
29 WGAN.INFO/29 Amazon Basics Small Hard Camera Carrying Case - 12 x 11 x 6 Inches
30 WGAN.INFO/30 5 Pairs Reusable Non Slip Shoe Covers, Premium Soft Washable Thickened Boot Shoe Covers
31 WGAN.INFO/31 BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Car Inverter with 4.2A Dual USB Car Adapter
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Like @VTLV mentioned in the tripod topic I believe it is a waste of time and money. First it will take some time to level more than just leveling by manipulating an angle of each tripod leg. And second it will only help with a small offset in leveling. If you do it on a big slope driveway for example keeping a tripod at an angle while only leveling a camera on top of it will add a lot of instability to the whole setup.

I do not think we need a video to explain how to level the whole setup with just pushing legs in or out. So the idea is to use a top of a camera case for eyeballing and comparing it with something you know is leveled like windows/doors frames or some features on a wall. If you see it unleveled push (a) relevant leg(s) with your feet by raising lower side of a tripod to a required height until you see the top of the camera leveled with some leveled feature and then push the hanging leg with your foot until it starts touching a ground.

If you have only one side unleveled it is really a 2-3 seconds job. If you need to rotate a camera 90 degrees and level by a second camera orientation it will add another 3-4 seconds. So on a driveway that is leveled but going down/up you need to account of an angle of driveway going up/down so it takes 2-3 seconds.

In this tour though that was done on a lawn each spot needed two adjustments so it took me about 5 seconds max. The only worst part is moving to a new spot and technically to adjust for a new spot I have to push all legs back to their normal positions to re-level for a ny ground configuration.

If you have two bubble levels at 90 degrees on top of the camera then you do not need to use the camera top for checking leveling and it will probably save you 1-2 seconds.

This level is just like a 360 degree ballhead. Good idea in a nutshell but once you get it loose there is no guarantee you can move it in one axis only(for example tilting), it will start going pretty much any way. You start getting annoyed because you just wanted to tilt it up or down, not through all horizontal leveling off. For that reason I like video heads for my camera more especially when they can rotate like one made by Neewer.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

Thank you for your thoughts on this topic.

Many years ago, after reading a WGAN Forum discussion about how a leveling base could reduce the wear and tear of adjusting the tripod legs, I switched to a leveling base (and loved it).

So, this may be one of those workflow meets gear meets personal preference discussions.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
101421 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?