Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceBubble LevelGearLevelerTripod

Desmond DLEV-1 Leveler-Manfrotto MT190XPRO44940

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

All,

As a result of giving hundreds of demos of our many Matterport Spaces in VR, I have switched tripods two years ago and added a Leveler to lower eye-level viewing and make it easier and faster to level the Matterport Camera.

On our We Get Around Blog (5 November 2015), I posted a review of the tripod and leveler solution and added these items to our Matterport Gear and Accessories shopping list.

Here is an excerpt from the blog post:

If you are about to buy the Matterport Camera – and are starting to look at related Matterport gear and accessories – I recommend the following Tripod, Leveler and bubble solution:

Manfrotto MT190XPRO4 4 Section Aluminum Tripod Legs with Q90 Column (Black) ($216.94)
Desmond DLEV-1 Leveler Level Plus Discal Clamp for Tripod 3/8 Precision Leveling Base ($63.95)
Stanley 43-511 Magnetic Shock Resistant Torpedo Level ($6.47)

That is instead of the:

Manfrotto MT190XPRO3 3 Section Aluminum Tripod ($186.64) that Matterport recommends and
Sunwayfoto MAC-14 60mm Clamp ($34.95)

By pairing the 4-section tripod with the Desmond Leveler, I can:

✓ lower the Matterport Camera to a lower eye-height
✓ level the camera easier and faster without stressing the tripod legs
✓ easily pack the tripod in a roller board suitcase

The 4-section tripod is a better solution than the 3-section version for optimizing height and as well as for Camera stability. The 4-section tripod is also much easier to pack in a roller board suit case.

The Desmond DLEV-1 Leveler Level still needs the addition of a bubble level. (The tripod bubble is not the right solution for Matterport Pros. It's awkward, at best, at helping level the camera. (I use a bubble level on every scan.)

The Desmond leveling solution is simply better, easier and faster to do the adjustment and you do not need the Sunwayfoto Clamp (since the clamp is built into the Desmond DLEV-1 leveler.)

To continue reading my article, please visit this We Get Around blog post.

--

Your thoughts about tripods, levelers and bubble levels?

Thanks,

Dan

Originally published in the We Get Around Network Forum here
Source: We Get Around Blog: Matterport Photographers: Tripod, Leveler and Bubble Level Solution

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

I originally posted (the above) two years ago here:

We Get Around Network Forum: Tripod, Leveler and Bubble Level Solution
✓ We Get Around Blog: Matterport Photographers: Tripod, Leveler and Bubble Level Solution

When I re-published above, I updated pricing and links.

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan

I have used the DESMOND DLEV-1 a few times and sometimes I got errors "Camera unstable while scanning" or something like that (I don´t remember the exact wording of the error message in my ipad).

In one of the last models I sent the results to Matterport because I got some serios stitching errors and they told me that after carefully examining the images they found (by a reflex in a mirror) that I was using the DESMOND leveler and they suggested me to stop using it because it was the source of the problem (apparently the movement of the camera while spinning created the stitching problems).

The fact is that when the camera is on top of the leveler it has some kind of shaking while it rotates due to the attachmment to the device.

Have you noticed that? Perhaps mine is a defective device.

I will appreciate your comments or perhaps someone else can post his/her opinion.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@jfantin

I have been super-happy with the DESMOND DLEV-1. My impression from your post is that you no longer have it? If you do, does it feel "right" when doing the adjustments (not to hard / not to easy) and that it is tight both to the camera and tripod.

I have not gotten "Camera unstable while scanning" errors while using the DESMOND DLEV-1.

If you still have it, does it look like the pictures above? It comes in two pieces.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Rootsyloops private msg quote post Address this user
I have the same issue with the Desmond DLEV with Matterport (camera unstable). I tried tightening the smalls screws, different height configurations, etc, but continued to get the error on most shoots. The scans always turned out, but it was disconcerting enough that I finally took it off and use a simple ball-head now that works better. I put the DLEV on my stills tripod and LOVE it for that application!!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod,

I still have it, but I am no longer using it due to the "camera unstable" error.

It came in two pieces, as your image shows, but I only used the "blue" part and not the black disk. I attached the camera directly to the leveler. To be honest, I didn´t understand the purpose of the black disk and also I couldn´t use it because of the long of the leveler's screw (if I put the disk between the camera and the leveler then the screw doesn´t reach the camera hole).
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Rootsyloops

Interesting. Many Forum Members use the Desmond DLEV-1 Leveler Level - so, it will be interesting to see if others it or have experienced problems with it.

@jfantin

The black disc adds a quick release feature.

I am confused about the assembly of your unit and why you are having challenges putting it together. Since you feel like you don't need the top piece, probably not worth your time posting photos here, but if you decide to do so, please include a photo of the bottom of your Matterport Camera showing the mount and serial number. For clarification, not all series Pro1 Matterport Cameras have the same bottom configuration. The easiest, for example, had not permanent quick release plate.

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Dan

Here you have a few photos:

This is the bottom of my camera

And you see that if I put together the black disk with the blue part there is no visible screw to insert in the camera bottom:

So I decided to use it as follows:

Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@jfantin

Ah!

You don't need the screw to go into the Camera. That's the function of the quick release.

Simply slide the camera into place and tighten the knob. (Tight so that the camera does not fall off; not so tight that you can not unlock).

Does this help?

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Yes!

I feel really stupid after realizing how the quick release works!

All this time and I didn't know how to use it!
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@jfantin

Ah! Glad we were able to solve the puzzle for you.

Again, with quick releases, they make the workflow easier; just be careful that the Camera is securely attached. Every hour or so, I double-check that the Camera is still tightly fastened. The turning of the Camera and loosen the connection in two places: where the Camera connects to the leveler and where the leveler connects to the tripod.

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfantin
I have used the DESMOND DLEV-1 a few times and sometimes I got errors "Camera unstable while scanning" or something like that (I don´t remember the exact wording of the error message in my ipad).

I recently purchased a DESMON DLEV-1 and have had the SAME problems. I've found that it's necessary to have the top washers tightened to not get this. Problem is, with the DLEV-1 tight, it loses flexibility and kind of defeats the whole purpose.

I have been meaning to start a thread about this little accessory to get some feedback as I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to take advantage of it. Many people swear by it.

I do like it for the Quick Release function -- however, I still feel more comfortable screwing in the Matterport as I like knowing I can sling the camera and tripod over my shoulder and run up and down stairs ... the quick release scares me a bit.
Post 12 IP   flag post
101636 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?