Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AECArchitectsBIMBLK360BLK360 G2Matterport ShopTalk WebinarsPro2Pro3Webinar

Matterport Shop Talk update on today's topic.18206

ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
I watched the Matterport Shop talk today and picked up a few bits of information on the AEC/Bim side of Matterport which in my opinion is where MP is focused now days. If you saw the show I would also like to hear your input in case I am off the mark or missed something. I do think MP has a real estate angle, but it is not the everyday agents. I think and again this is my opinion it is high end real estate with out of the area or out of the country buyers. I also look at what Douglas Meyers did with the cruise ship MP scans a very underutilized market and his scans were amazing.

But back on topic with the AEC market, after watching the webinar Matterport’s own subject matter expert has not bough a Matterport Pro3. They considered it and decided to postpone the purchase to later this year. I was somewhat surprised by the remark MP expert Alberto Palomino made even touched on a few points I made in an earlier post is there significant improvement to justify the purchase. If the equipment you have is accomplishing the same thing with almost as good of results. In a nutshell the MP Pro2 was accomplishing what they needed. The caveat was having to work around the Pro2 limitations, but it could be done. So, for me that was a key point their expert talked about.

Another good point was according to Amir Frank MP will support the new BLK360 G2. This would be supported at a later date, but would not go into details. I don’t want to get off topic but don’t get me started on MP and informational updates or releases. I been using MP since about 2014 and have heard a lot of stuff promised and little to or lack of follow thru. But I have seen stuff released that was never talked about and are good additions to MP. But another point on this topic and I was in the same boat as a lot of people that MP would not support a product in direct competition with the Pro3, but both Amir and Alberto made a good point that neither Leica Blk360 had the photo capabilities of the MP Pro3. This still could be the game changer in the AEC/Insurance adjustor field that would justify the purchase of a Pro3.

The one negative part of today’s webinar was when I asked a question if they could comment on the accuracy of the data from the Pro2 on store fronts. Background for this question was Alberto brought up a good point that they do store fronts in malls. This not being a limitation to the Pro2 since sun light is not a problem, I asked them to talk about the maximum extent the data was usable. There example was a higher ceiling store front in a mall and since they used the Pro2 and no scanners were they able to successfully produce a point cloud that was usable. The ceiling height was about that of a two-story building. They answered all other questions, referred my question to the Matterpac purchase information in the comments and questions section and did not address my question but answered most other questions.

All in all, if I did not own a MP Pro and Pro2 camera and I was looking to break into the market, whether it was real estate and work in the AEC/water mitigation documentation I would buy the Pro3. But for me I am just going to change my marketing angle to focus on showing architects the value of the Pro2 and point cloud produced from the model. That being said in my small corner of the world several architects slowing down, we will see.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@ron0987

Thank you for watching and reporting back.

Yes. A surprise that the guest does not use a Pro3 (when it sounds like the need for both high ceilings (in a mall for store fronts) and point cloud.

And, thanks for being the first in the WGAN Forum to report that Matterport plans to support the Leica BLK360 (2nd Generation).

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
daslack private msg quote post Address this user
@ron0987 Hi Ron. Thank you for the summary of Shop Talk. In a previous communication between the two of us you motivated me to try an E57 point cloud from Matterport. I had a Pro 2 model from a new home that I built for a customer. Since I built the house I also had the original plan and all of its dimensions. I was really impressed how well the Pro 2 did with the measurements overall. They were quite accurate.
I outsourced the conversion of the E57 to a dwg file. That cost me about $200 along with $89 for the E57 from Matterport for a total cost of just under $300. Much cheaper than the BIM file from Matterport.
I am more fascinated by the spatial data that can be obtained from MP than the visual data.
Wanted to thank you for pointing me down this road!
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Yes. A surprise that the guest does not use a Pro3 (when it sounds like the need for both high ceilings (in a mall for store fronts) and point cloud.

I wanted to comment on this too when I saw it yesterday. It did not make any sense to me apart from justification to spend more time on a customer site and be able to charge more for it.
I just keep using a Pro3 the same way I have used my Pro2. Since I am mostly doing event spaces and shops it does not make sense to jump big distance for these type of businesses between scans. So I scan inside every 2-3 meters and still need to scan behind objects. However even that way I still do spaces faster and when estimated by my partners I do spaces for there is always like 30% more time quoted that needed.

For my own clients I just started to give a quote per a space considering they can tell me their floor area size and conditions I will be scanning in. Then I say it can take up to 6 hours and it will cost $X but I always add that if it takes up to 4 hours that will be less $100/$200 That way a client see you want to charge them for time spend on doing their job as they are getting a discount. I also mention I can do scanning faster with no people around and if they cannot make it happen they kind of agree to pay extra for longer scanning.
Post 4 IP   flag post
101636 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?