Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
iPhone 12LidarQuestion of the Day

Question of the Day: Will Matterport Offer a Rotator for iPhone 12 Pro?13311

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grabs from Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max marketing video

Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Wednesday, 14 October 2020:

Will/Should Matterport Offer a Rotator for iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max (with LiDAR)?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod, I think both MP and Apple will offer a third party solution. I'd be shocked if MP created a rotator just for the iPhone. There in no rush to get the Pro3 out, I can't imagine that they'd take a second to support Apple. They use the same business model. All proprietary with relationships with a few "chosen" 3rd party peripherals.

BTW, I'm an Apple devotee. I'm just making a guess.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
PS, I like to be proven wrong. I'm weird that way.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@toddwaddington

If a 3rd-party company creates a professional grade rotator for iPhone Pro and iPhone Pro Max, will Matterport then write the app to auto-rotate the iPhone to capture scan data and 360s?

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
OK, I'm not a code or app designing guy, but, I would think that with Bluetooth technology it would only be a matter of some sort of patent agreement between MP/Apple and the third party provider. Wait, I'm guessing iPhone would have to sync with this rotator device, then Capture would trigger the two synchronous devices?

How does that sound? lol. Someone smarter than me please help!
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @AntonYakubenko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
What resolution are the panos?

We have 2 options:
1. SD - 6434 x 3217
2. HD - 12868 x 6434

The majority of GeoCV 3D tours you've seen are in SD resolution. So if you liked them, you'll like HD even better. HD resolution allows extraction of print quality still photos. It also allows zoom in 3D tours.

I'd stress that one should differentiate between formal megapixels used for marketing and actual level of detail and crispiness. The latter depends a lot on software, both during processing and visualization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360
What camera is included with the subscription?

You recieve a whole GeoCV scanning kit including:
- Samsung Galaxy S8 smartphone
- Occipital Structure 3D sensor attachment
- Proprietary rotator
- Carrying case
- Batteries, chargers, cables
- Arca-Swiss quick-release clamp

The only thing you'll need on top of that is a regular tripod, which might not be heavy duty since the camera weighs only 3 lb.

Here is how it looks now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
How much is the subscription?

We'll be sending out pricing to our potential customers via email.

@toddwaddington

Seems like GeoCV already invented the rotator? While it was designed for a smartphone + a LiDAR sensor, now - with the iPhone 12 Pro - the LiDAR sensor is built into the phone. GeoCV Co-Founder and CEO @AntonYakubenko was way ahead of all of us in anticipating that one day smartphones would include LiDAR.

Perhaps Matterport and GeoCV will settle their lawsuit ...

Lawsuit: Matterport, Inc. versus GeoCV, Inc. - All Legal Documents

... and Anton - and Occipital will play a role in Matterport + pro grade rotator + iPhone 12 Pro + Matterport Capture app?

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod I would find it hard to think Matterport would partner with anybody. It would have been a great partnership prior to lawsuit.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ron0987

Yes. It would have made a ton of sense for Matterport to partner with GeoCV: instead of suing them! I discuss that at length in this WGAN Forum discussion:

10 Reasons Matterport will acquire GeoCV

Plus this ...

SPAR3D (13 October 2020) No longer a rumor: iPhone 12 Pro models have lidar

"In the launch event from Apple, little time was spent on the lidar compared to its new glass, new chip, new phone, and new ‘computational photography’ capabilities. However, Apple did tout the sensor’s ability to help with photography-related applications, improve augmented reality and the ability to scan and measure rooms," reports SPAR3D.

"Apple has seemed to lean on the the sensor’s appeal as a tool to help enhance photography to help their users to understand it. There is so much more potential for its use, though, especially when you consider its ability to potentially democratize photogrammetry and 3D scanning in ways we have not previously seen," reports SPAR3D.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Screen Grab from Apple eBlast received today, Friday, 16 October 2020

Hi All,

I just placed my order for an iPhone 12 Pro. It's scheduled to arrive on Friday, 23 October 2020.

How about you? Have you placed your order too?

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
A very interesting question.

On one hand, it would increase the number of creators. OTOH, it would hurt MSPs and destroy the sales of Pro2s.

Plus- The barriers to entry for potential Matterport competitors just dropped considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Will/Should Matterport Offer a Rotator for iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max (with LiDAR)?
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Expertise

Expand the market for photographers as more learn about the business use case for scan data via a consumer LiDAR capture experience but do not want DIY or do not want to invest in learning/training, etc?

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
BTW, xfinity offering $250 off iPhone 12 PRO
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Matterport's Brand New Blur Brush Tool | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 15 October 2020

Hi All,

Matterport Vice President, Product Marketing & Platform Indy Sen in the video above (starting at 39:02)

[Q]Is there a product that will rotate the iPad Pro or iPhone Pro on a tripod to capture spaces?

[A] Yeah, a fantastic question. We are evaluating right now. I think there is a bunch of third party entities that are building some of these tripods for iPhones and what not, and I think we are testing a few of them. Obviously, we haven't gotten our hands on the iPhone itself, the new one, but the iPad Pro's certainly we've been looking at some of these manufacturers who are making tripods. Our plan is to evaluate and potentially recommend the ones we feel are probably ... provide the best outcomes. We're still in that evaluation process though.

But I think if you look on for example Amazon, there's probably a couple that you can be able to find. Nothing that we have sort of endorsed or recommended yet. I think we're still figuring that out on our end.

--

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Tuesday, 8 February 2022
---
==> Matterport: Axis, a New Hands-Free Motor Mount for Precision 3D Capture
==> Question of the Day: Your thoughts about Matterport Axis Rotator?
==> Matterport Discounts Starter Plan to $6.67/Month with Axis Starter Bundle
Post 14 IP   flag post
101636 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?