Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360FrustratingIssueMLS

Why are walk-through videos called virtual tours on the MLS?12557

michaelr private msg quote post Address this user
does anyone know the history why walk-through videos are called virtual tours on the MLS. i have been getting multiple clients that keep confusing what we do and walk-through videos
Post 1 IP   flag post
tmroberts private msg quote post Address this user
many agents STILL confuse a slide show with a virtual tour - they are NOT the same.
Post 2 IP   flag post
denlee private msg quote post Address this user
The MLS provides one place for the listing Realtor to insert a link to a 'virtual tour'. Some insert a link to a 3D or 360 tour, and some link to a video, but most link to a slideshow of stills, which is pointless as they reuse the same stills that were already attached to the listing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Virtual Tours Used to Contain Stitched Photos into a Panoramic Photo Slide Show similar to what would be seen on a senior class photo in high school. Usually a minimum of 3. Stitching of about 70 photos into a single 360 photo emerged around the same time. During the recession, many of those features went away. The Ken Burns Effect emerged onto still photos as a cheaper way to have a virtual tour we now call Slide Show Virtual Tour.

Many clients got wise to the slide show being the same photos they just looked at in the photo gallery and clicked off. Video way to use the virtual tour links as a way to get clients to stay on a page longer to fall in love with a property.

360 Virtual Tours offered a way for clients to stay longer on a page and control where they can go versus waiting for a shot that may never come in a slide show or video.

Clearly, the term "Virtual Tour" needs to be broken up into Slide Show Virtual Tour, Video Virtual Tour and 360 Virtual Tour. I personally see now reason to uses 3D since it represents a 3D model of a property in select tours. Slide show should get tossed since there is nothing different from the gallery wasting time and eating space. VR Virtual Tour is almost to the point that it's a given with 360 Virtual Tours. Unfortunately, we are held hostage to Keyword Searches and what our culture has embraced.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelr

Perhaps @andriystrebkov will chime in.

Andri posted this to the WGAN Forum two months ago:

3D Tours, Virtual Tours, Slideshows and Video Tours. What's the difference?

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
jericreson private msg quote post Address this user
The term Virtual Tour existed long before true 360 tours existed, thus has been in use in real estate lingo for a very long time. It is not, therefore, surprising that real estate agents confuse the two. They will continue to do so ... Eventually, we will be differentiating between video tour and 360 tours to refer to each, I believe - but both will be considered in real estate vernacular as virtual tours - Video tours, IMHO are horrible wastes of time. The consumer hates them. Especially now that they have 360 tours. Agents love them, and actually believe that people want to meander through their listings, listening to some cleverly chosen Mp3 track, and fall in love with the house that way. In reality, most consumers hit the MUTE button as quickly as possible, and try to fast forward to see what they are ACTUALLY interested in before they skip to the next property....lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
It's why VT's like Matterport still blow people away.

Many agents in my area post slideshows in the virtual tour link because they don't have a real virtual tour.

I'm my area, the MLS has 3 slots for virtual tours.

Unbranded virtual tour
Branded virtual tour
Unbranded 3D virtual tour.
Also allows 50 images

I use my branded show & tour site player for the first 2 and I use auto start Matterport for the 3D

And in places like Realtor.com my clients get an icon for 3D tour which plays MP and for the VT icon, my Player gets activated, so it appears to be more content. And with my Player I can show off unlimited photos which makes the listing become a super hero 😉

PS big fan of the micro sites
Post 7 IP   flag post
CharlesHH private msg quote post Address this user
It is not just in the real estate industry but throughout the web.
The words 3D, 360, VR, Virtual visit, virtual tour, video tour etc are constantly being confused. I am now creating some spaces which are totally virtual - an art gallery that does not exist but one that you can walk through like a Matterport tour. I'm not sure how to define the difference.
It annoys me when real estate agents view a cheap tour made with 360 views as a virtual visit. It has also lowered the value of a Matterport tour.

Sadly, I don't think we are big enough to change the world. We have to make it clear what we offer.

I try and explain to RE agents the following
There are
Video Tours made with an iPhone or video camera
360 Tours made with simple 360 cameras where you jump from room to room or 360 view
3D Virtual Visits - a Pro2 Matterport tour (where we can also add a video walkthrough from the highlight reel if required)
If you are a house buyer, only the MP tour really lets you walk around and view the house in detail.
Post 8 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
Not to mention that YouTube has a feature in which you can post a video which can be interactively navigated as a 360 virtual tour.
Post 9 IP   flag post
jericreson private msg quote post Address this user
@CharlesHH And there are professional level tours between the "cheap tours" - also and a Matterport Tour. They aren't necessarily a compromise, especially not in quality when shot professionally with the right equipment, however they can be more cost effective to use, as it isn't necessary to stop every few yards to take another scan. A Matterport tour isn't lowered in value, rather, it is reserved for it's own appropriate use. I shoot extremely detailed panoramas with my 134 MP Xphase, for example. It isn't a Matterport experience, which, I, personally find frustrating and annoying. Personally, I would much rather have equal to superior overall image quality with my Xphase, and also not have to be distracted by constantly jumping through, literally, dozens of "hoops" to get where I want to go. You get used to it, but in reality, Matterport tours don't offer a natural "flow" visually. Many customers prefer one experience over the other.

There are times when a customer wants a Matterport - however - as superior as it may seem to you - it's not always the right fit for every seat. Variety is the spice of life.
Post 10 IP   flag post
101641 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?