Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Pro2Pro3

Fear about buying Matterport pro 2...questions12533

adc1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I've used the Theta cameras with good success with RE. However, more commercial clients are now requesting MP tours and I feel the Thetas are not detailed enough for many of the spaces. My main fear about purchasing a pro 2 is that a new pro3 may arrive in Q4 (from what I've read).

1. Does MP have a trade in program when new cameras are released?

2. Does anyone discount the pro 2 cameras from the MSRP?

I'm not really looking for used. I prefer to purchase new equipment. Thats just me

Any thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@adc1967

Welcome to the WGAN Forum.

If you have enough requests from paid clients, then buy a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera.

You have 30 days to return the camera, based on the last time that I read the terms and conditions of purchase.

Can you provide a link to news regarding a Pro3 camera? Personally, I would be super-surprised if Matterport was still working on a Pro3. I believe when they did layoffs at the start of COVID-19, I believe they let go people that were needed for Pro3 hardware development. I could be totally wrong on this.

Plus, if Matterport offers a Pro3 for sale, I would be super-surprised if it offers a trade-in or other concession (which was done when the Pro2 came out for Pro1 early-adopters).

While Matterport routinely discounted its camera with coupon offers at trade shows, Facebook ads, etc., when COVID-19 started, they stopped that (likely because they have had the camera on backlog up to 3-5 weeks either because of demand due to the pandemic or overseas manufacturing and shipping challenges.

While there is a WGAN Private Group to Buy-Sell Used Matterport Cameras, presently there is more demand to buy used Matterport Pro2 3D Cameras than to sell one.

I just noticed that Matterport removed the line from the top of their website about delays in shipping.

Does the above help?

Perhaps others in the WGAN Forum will have other thoughts about your questions.

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Premium
Lahaina, Hawaii
Skeeter private msg quote post Address this user
I just bought another Pro-2. Last time the did have a trade in option for new purchasers. At this point I don't think the Pro-3 will be coming out anytime soon. I'm sure that the camera will pay for its self fast.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @adc1967, I read a post yesterday that was eye opening, but it made a lot of sense. An obviously successful member saying he doesn’t go on a shoot without several back-ups, INCLUDING two MP Pro cameras on hand. The idea of always being prepared. And, I have to say, that I’ve been thinking hard about that in the last 24 hours. I’m basically just starting out with Matterport (started in the Spring) and I can see its potential.

I have a very good paying job lined up for this Tuesday and if something goes wrong, I may lose a client who has already been loyal to me and I want to provide the best service for them. So, my recommendation would be to find the money, yes, check for sales. If you have some wiggle room (time), do daily searches on the net for the next couple of weeks to see if there are any Pro 2 specials. I usually enter a simple search like “deals on Matterport Pro 2” and if there is something out there it will show up. There could be a “dog days” sale in August, who knows. Matterport is not having any problem selling their camera. Buy a Pro2 and then, use that as your back up IF MP releases a Pro3.

I can’t justify running out and buying a second Pro2 tomorrow, but I might within a month if business picks up even a little bit.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Todd, good points. I have backups for everything for my Photography business including drones (my primary business is photography-------tours, etc are add sons). I'll probably go with the Pro2. Plus, if they come out with a 3, the 2 can serve as a backup. I can use my Thetas as backup for now.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Dan that makes sense. I was unaware of all the layoffs. One would think with all the competition coming on from so may companies, MP would be focused on advancing their cameras. There's still always firmware updates, etc. To be honest, I was hoping for a MP camera in a smaller form factor
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@adc1967

WGAN Forum discussions:

SVBJ: Matterport Lets Go 90 job: one-third of Matterport Employees
Matterport Employees Seeking New Jobs as a Result of Layoffs

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Dan.thanks

In my former life, I was a Plant manager and Lean manufacturing guru. In all organizations (in normal economical times), most labor runs 15-20% heavy. As more years of profitability accumulate, that number increases (just like consumer confidence---companies get confidence in hiring as well). During recessions, companies are forced to look at what is actually needed to stay productive. 90 does seem high, however, much of the workers may not be needed since the "startup" of Matterport is complete and the kinks of starting a new venture has worn off. MP may now be facing their first "recession" of significance. Just a guess. MP may be in financial turmoil. Who knows.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Axis360Media private msg quote post Address this user
I personally have filed a lawsuit. In my market everyone is scanning including Matterport sales, and students tech schools that got free devices. If i could go back in time i would NOT have bought. Being lead plaintiff in a 21 state class action suit isn't fun.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@adc1967

I could imagine the layoffs were related to raising the latest round of money ...

Matterport Raises $39 Million: $153 Million Lifetime Raised

Weekend starting now. Got to go!

Best,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
I'm suing Canon. I bought a camera and then they went and sold cameras to my competitors. They never told me that I wasn't their only customer.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@adc1967

I could imagine the layoffs were related to raising the latest round of money ...

Matterport Raises $39 Million: $153 Million Lifetime Raised

Weekend starting now. Got to go!

Best,

Dan

One would think that MP would be self sufficient at this point
Post 12 IP   flag post
101436 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?