Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Pro1Pro2Ricoh Theta Z1Versus

Ricoh Theta Z1 versus Matterport Pro1 versus Pro211659

rastas private msg quote post Address this user
Im a still photographer, just coming into 360 virtual tours. I've shot hotels for years, with medium format digital. With the pandemic, that sort of work has disappeared, so looking for other creative opportunities and now will do 360 virtual tours.

For 360 I bought a z1. Scared to ask this question, but I have a potential "in" with a client that needs commercial property walkthrus: empty office buildings they are renting or selling.

Will the z1 quality with matterport be enough for that sort of thing, or do I need to get the matterport pro1 or 2 camera? Is the average joe (not photograhers) looking to rent a space - or the realtor - saavy enough to see the difference?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@rastas

It can be. You have to pay really close attention to how/where the capture app is laying down the scan positions as the Z1 isn't collecting any actual 3D data it is an interpretation of the 3D from Matterport AI

These two tours were shot with the Z1

Post 2 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
From a "realator" who is actually a Realtor/Media Provider, maybe.

With Matterport processing, if you/they were to see a side-by-side comparison between Pro1, Pro2 and Z1, the difference is obvious - more so between Z1 and Pro2 vs. Z1 and Pro1. The Pro2, from the standpoint of color, hue, luminance, HDR, resolution, accuracy (floor plans) is superior. Even the usual "stretch" is a bit more pronounced with Z1 vs. Pro2.

If you want to sell Z1 Matterport spaces, don't show them a space shot with a Pro2.

Will it be "enough"? Why not do a test shoot and show the client and see what they say?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Npapps private msg quote post Address this user
I love mine. The images come out really good and you can barley see the camera in shadows. And it’s easy to hide from mirrors too.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Camera Comparison

(Insta360 One X)

(Theta V)

(Theta Z1)

(Matterport Pro1)

(Matterport Pro2)
Post 5 IP   flag post
Hi all. (thanks for pointing out my typo on realtor there as well...). I've seen all these tours in digging around this site over past couple of weeks. From a first impression/image point of view, if I show up with a 360 camera as opposed to a pro Matterport camera, have any of your clients questioned that or showed concern?

When I'm shooting a hotel (still photography), almost never, maybe once or twice, do any of the hotel people (the clients) look at my camera or know what I'm using or care.
Post 6 IP   flag post
JayInLA private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for the examples lilnitsch... However just to clarify, for the examples shown above, can you Confirm that the Theta Z1 images/tour was taken in RAW DNG format and not JPEG? Because that makes a big difference.

Also these tours/images were taken at different times during the day, so that will also have an effect on their appearances such as different lighting coming in causing under or over exposure effects, etc.

Thanks again!
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@JayInLA

"Just for clarification" you have absolutely NO camera controls in any of the supported cameras in the Matterport ecosystem.

I also get that these tours were shot at different times of the day (not in a lab environment) but, they were shot on my time and my dime

ALL the supported 360 cameras are shooting in some variant of auto HDR in a jpg format
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
In real world usage of any of these 360 cameras within the Matterport ecosystem the Z1 is hands down the best out of the group followed by the V (though it does suffer from the "Red Dot" lens flares) and lastly the Insta360 One X

Within the Matterport ecosystem the Insta360 One X is REALLY grainy
Post 9 IP   flag post
JayInLA private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks again for the comparison tours lilnitsch... And yes excellent point, I am also new to this and I always forget that Matterport doesn't allow any uploading of any photos like most all other platforms.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@JayInLA

Matterport & Zillow are BOTH closed systems "Point & Shoot" if you will
Post 11 IP   flag post
mcaorlin private msg quote post Address this user
I was almost going to buy a Z1 and use it on MT. But I've just realised doing that I won't be able to have (and sell to my clients) the Matterpack. I'M into construction and Arch. World and that would be a great selling point in my field, to provide bas-uild scan,survey, etc.alongside virtual tours.
Same for the schematic plan generated by MT, so easy and fast.

I'm just starting this as a side Hustle and I don't want to invest almost £3000 in the Pro2, the Z1 it's my compromise for price and quality.

What would you suggest at this point? Trying to achieve similar services with Cupix?
Post 12 IP   flag post
jacobpmac private msg quote post Address this user
@mcaorlin This is a side hustle for me as well. I am currently using a Pro2. If you are mostly shooting real estate I don't see how you can justify the extra $2000 investment. To the untrained eye the difference in resolution between something like the Z1 and the Pro2 is almost unnoticeable.

Keep in mind that as photographers we are looking at 3D tours all day. Details will jump out to us that would not even be on most Realtors radar. As @rastas stated; "When I'm shooting a hotel (still photography), almost never, maybe once or twice, do any of the hotel people (the clients) look at my camera or know what I'm using or care."

Again, I am using the Pro2 but I was using it before I (recently) started my Virtual Tour business. My Pro2 was originally purchased because I am also in the construction industry, which means I was using the matterpak point cloud files for AEC purposes.

Another thing you have to take into account is how many exterior shots will you be taking. The Pro2 can not handle direct sunlight. Once business picks up for me I almost certainly will switch to one of the other cameras on the market for that reason alone.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Jacob: this is great advice. thanks for sharing your opinion. I keep looking at test scans I did in matterport with the z1 and think "you know, this is really not that bad!"

It does better in rooms where there isn't a lot of windows or bright light... in those areas the matterport cameras seem to handle the blooming/flaring/bright areas much better.

But when there isn't that direct light..... it almost competes... From what I've seen
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
@lilnitsch

Out of all the 360 cameras you use on the Matterport platform, which one would you recommend as far as ease to adapt and quickness when capturing? I thought the Insta One360 looked really good. But you can't get floorplans with that right?

Also - would you buy the newest R version of the InstaOne if you purchased one now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnitsch
Camera Comparison

(Insta360 One X)

(Theta V)

(Theta Z1)

(Matterport Pro1)

(Matterport Pro2)
Post 15 IP   flag post
GFHoge private msg quote post Address this user
This is a great thread. Thank you for the comparisons on the Matterport platform. I have found that the flexibility and editing for the Z1 are non-existent on the MP system. I recommend the combination of Ricoh Z1 with the 3DVista publishing platform.

If you need measurements for inside shots, MP2 wins big, but Z1 shots have more flexibility with transitions, hotspots, etc in 3DVista.
I like the freedom to take 360 shots from various spots at a location and not have to follow the breadcrumb trail MP requires. Although the Z1 photos should be edited in Photoshop or Lightroom, the creative aspect is truly unlimited when combined with the top rated program 3DVista.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
@gfhoge - how much do floorplans costs on that 3dvista platform?
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@pixelray

If I were just starting out & limited to a 360 camera I would buy a Ricoh Theta V or Z1.

Reasoning being these two camera's open up the ability to shoot Zillow 3D home tours in the US market & the image quality is better on both of these 2 cameras

As for floor plans you are correct in not being able to order floor plans from Matterport directly but, there are a number of 3rd parties that can now generate a floor plan directly from your Matterport tour link
Post 18 IP   flag post
GFHoge private msg quote post Address this user
@pixelray I am still learning the 3DVista platform because it is so robust with plenty of YouTube tutorials to watch, I haven’t found the floor plan answer yet. Anyone found it yet? Can you get a floor plan from a 360 space that isn’t MP?
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@lilnitsch

Thank you for sharing your Matterport tour examples comparing:

✓ Matterport Pro1 3D Camera
✓ Matterport Pro2 3D Camera
✓ Ricoh Theta V
✓ Ricoh Theta Z1
✓ Insta360 One X

As you can see from the discussion, these examples are immensely helpful for those trying to decide on which platform and which camera.

@mcaorlin
@jacobpmac

If Matterport MatterPaks are important to you - Matterport -->MatterPak-->File Conversion to Revit/Sketchup, would it make sense to get started with Ricoh Theta V/Z1 or Insta360 One X so that you can get some Matterport (and Cupix) experience before you invest in a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera?

Best,

Dan
Post 20 IP   flag post
Joakim360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaorlin
I was almost going to buy a Z1 and use it on MT. But I've just realised doing that I won't be able to have (and sell to my clients) the Matterpack. I'M into construction and Arch. World and that would be a great selling point in my field, to provide bas-uild scan,survey, etc.alongside virtual tours.
Same for the schematic plan generated by MT, so easy and fast.

I'm just starting this as a side Hustle and I don't want to invest almost £3000 in the Pro2, the Z1 it's my compromise for price and quality.

What would you suggest at this point? Trying to achieve similar services with Cupix?

Im using the Z1 and Cupix within construction: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/joakimreistad_eiendom-bygg-digitalisering-activity-6651045209612275712--ReS

Its great for progress tracking because you can compare it to BIM and earlier tours
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
I did this today and it just finished processing, still needs to enter the workshop before sending to agent tomorrow. Do you think she will be happy to share this with the seller?? 175 scans.

Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I believe that's a salable model ~ I would however hide a few scan positions in workshop before forwarding it along
Post 23 IP   flag post
Why wouldnt she be happy? It's beautiful... What does "still needs to enter workshop mean?
Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@rastas

Hiding redundant scan positions will make for a better flowing tour and a more pleasant experience for the end user

Post 25 IP   flag post
I see... so you can "fly through" a space quicker perhaps if there's not spots showing every two feet....

got it. Specifically, I've seen some tours where in a commercial space there is a scan done in a doorframe leading to a huge 10,000 square foot warehouse for example - and the camera never goes inside, but just views the space.

Is it okay to do that kind of techinique sometimes? Just show the room, peek at it, but not actually go inside?
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@rastas

That would be client/space dependent ~ there is no simple yes or no right or wrong answer
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@rastas In the workshop I'll be able to remove redundant scan points, label rooms, set up my highlight reel movie, extract about 50 or so nice images for her MLS listing, complete the details with MLS, and send the agent branded, unbranded, and MLS links.
Post 28 IP   flag post
MarkC private msg quote post Address this user
Please explain branded, unbranded, and MLS links. I'm just getting started and have done a free tour using Kuula and a Theta SC2 while waiting for my back-ordered Z1 to arrive. Thanks.
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@MarkC

Most MLS’s in the US require a “non-branded” version of the virtual tour so, that if another agent shares the tour with their clients the listing agents contact info isn’t on the tour
Post 30 IP   flag post
101436 40 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?